GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default New gal with fuel pump ???'s

Hey guys! I'm Jen and I'm looking for a DIY on a fuel pump replacement. We have a 1999 Suburban, which is my bf's dd and the fuel pump went out. I did a search and didn't come up with anything and I'm not finding a DIY section around here. Can anyone help me out??

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!
    Like most Suburbans the pump is located in the top of the fuel tank which needs to be dropped from underneath the vehicle. I changed one once before and it required dropping the rear hitch receiver, skid plate, fasteners, unbolting the fuel inlet tube, etc. I'm sure someone here has done one more recently and could provide simple step-by-step instructions for you.
    Good luck!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by dwill3015 View Post
    Welcome to the site!
    Like most Suburbans the pump is located in the top of the fuel tank which needs to be dropped from underneath the vehicle. I changed one once before and it required dropping the rear hitch receiver, skid plate, fasteners, unbolting the fuel inlet tube, etc. I'm sure someone here has done one more recently and could provide simple step-by-step instructions for you.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the general instructions! Most likely I will snag up a chiltons for this job. I have a Helm for my Acura and that is the best thing I've ever invested in!

Legend

empty the tank or use a piece of plywood to disspers the weight of the tank and use a floor jack with a few friends with steady hands, take off the straps after all that is in place and lower it. now just un bolt and pull it out, be sure to change the gasket and put in new fuel filters, now put it back in, took no longer then an hour but i had an empty tank
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Welcome to the site..... I've only ever had to drop one tank and it was my 99 S-10 ZR2. That was an easy job though. Hope yours goes well for you.
    6" BDS Suspension Lift / 3" Body Lift / 38x15.50x20 Dick Cepek FCII on 20x12 Dick Cepek DC-1 (summer set) / 325/80/16 Dick Cepek FCII on 16x8 American Racing Diamond Back (winter set) / Hypertech Power Programmer III / Air Max Spiral Flow Air Intake / / 80mm Granetelli MAF / 80mm BBK Throttle Body / Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer / 2 Turbonators / Edelbrock Shorty Headers / 30 Series Flowmaster / 4.56 gears /

Legend

Blog Entries

Hi Jen. Welcome to the board.

There is a How To section in the main forums list. There is not currently a write up on how to change out a fuel tank but hopefully someone would be willing now that you've asked.
    Last edited by Springthing; 09-02-2008 at 04:31 PM.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

you might also need a special tool to take the gas line fittings off also when we did mine my dad rigged something up to work but the right tool would of helped
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

Legend

In case you need to drive it before you can get it changed out just get a good hammer and whack the bottom of the tank right in the middle, mine went out the day before i was set for vacation, no choice but to drive her, gave her a whack then she fired right up, drove almost 700 miles round trip with and some off-roading and camping not a problem! I know this sounds weird maybe even nuts but it works when your in a pinch.

Welcome to the site, btw!

Probably will end up splitting this post into two pieces, a welcome/intro for this forum and a guide to changing a fuel pump for a suburban in the tech forums.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Welcome to the site, btw!

Probably will end up splitting this post into two pieces, a welcome/intro for this forum and a guide to changing a fuel pump for a suburban in the tech forums.
    You can move this over into the tech forums, I can throw up a real intro in the new member section. I wasn't sure if I was going to hang around too long, so I just threw up my quick question. I'm poking my head in from the Acura forum for my non-mechanically inclined boyfriend

Everyone, thank you for your suggestions! You guys have a great site over here! I'm guessing the fuel pump has been on it's way out. It was constantly stalling, had trouble getting started in the last few weeks and finally just wouldn't start. Not bad though, she's got 170,xxx on her with the original motor, and just replaced the tranny last month.