GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top Tier Fuel - GM Recomends it.

Just reading thru the Manual for my new 2014 Silverado and came across this,,
    "For gasoline engine vehicles,

use of the recommended fuel is
    an important part of the proper
    maintenance of this vehicle. To help
    keep the engine clean and maintain
    optimum vehicle performance, we
    recommend using TOP TIER
    Detergent Gasolines.
    See www.toptiergas.com for a list of
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines."
    The dealer never mentioned it to me. and honestly I never heard of Top Tier fuel. ( My old truck never seemed to care what I poured in it )

Here in Minnesota there are "Super America" stations all over the place and I have always just got gas from them. when I went to the
    www.toptiergas.com site and looked at the Retailors tab I didn't see SA on the list of Okey-Dokey Stations.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas to what TT fuel Pro or Con is all about. I sure don't want to mess up a new truck I plan to keep for a long time.

if you are a Pro User of TT fuel, are there stickers or something on the pumps to be able to tell if they are in the TT program ?
    this is all new to me.

Discount fuels may not have the additives that the top tier companies add to the gas
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

My dad worked in the oil industry for over 25 years and laughs things like this.

1) Government regulations mandate certain parameters for gasoline which is to say, they are all the same.
    2) According to their commercials, Shell adds nitrogen to their gasoline and then tells you it's good for your engine. Um, nitrogen is an inert element, it doesn't do ANYTHING.
    3) Corn-based ethanol is doing more damage to our engines than non-top tier gasoline is.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Gum* View Post
    Just reading thru the Manual for my new 2014 Silverado and came across this,,
    "For gasoline engine vehicles,

use of the recommended fuel is
    an important part of the proper
    maintenance of this vehicle. To help
    keep the engine clean and maintain
    optimum vehicle performance, we
    recommend using TOP TIER
    Detergent Gasolines.
    See www.toptiergas.com for a list of
    TOP TIER Detergent Gasolines."
    The dealer never mentioned it to me. and honestly I never heard of Top Tier fuel. ( My old truck never seemed to care what I poured in it )

Here in Minnesota there are "Super America" stations all over the place and I have always just got gas from them. when I went to the
    www.toptiergas.com site and looked at the Retailors tab I didn't see SA on the list of Okey-Dokey Stations.

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas to what TT fuel Pro or Con is all about. I sure don't want to mess up a new truck I plan to keep for a long time.

if you are a Pro User of TT fuel, are there stickers or something on the pumps to be able to tell if they are in the TT program ?
    this is all new to me.

From the 2014" Silverado Owners Manual, Regarding Top Tier Gas.

Recommended Fuel.....For all Vehicles except those with the 6.2L V8 Engine, use Regular Unleaded Gasoline with a Posted Octane Rating of 87 or Higher.
    ....If TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is Not Available, One Bottle of Fuel System Treatment PLUS, Part Number #88861013, added to the Fuel Tank at Every Engine Oil Change, can Help. Fuel System Treatment PLUS is the only Gasoline Additive recommended by General Motors.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

That has always been my idea McClintoc,
    its all just a big sales pitch to get you to buy something from Them...
    I hear Detergent, Oxygenated, Octane Boosting, ect... and one of my biggest Peev's when I see someone dumping High Octane into a beater thinking they are doing something to increase power. when all that is for high compression engines
    to prevent Knocking. it co$t more - don't mean it$ better.
    so of curse im skeptical when I hear "Recommend using TOP TIER
    Detergent Gasoline's." and then list what company's are in the Accepted Group.

Doesn't pretty much all gasoline contain detergents now a days? 30 years ago when I worked at a mobile station they only added it to mid grade and above.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Taken right from toptiergas.com

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers

Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.
    In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.
    Additional gasoline retailers are added to the TOP TIER list as they meet the standards. The retailers known to be on the TOP TIER list are shown below.

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:
    USA Canada
    76 Stations Chevron Canada
    Aloha Petroleum Esso
    BP Petro-Canada
    Chevron Shell Canada
    Conoco
    CountryMark
    Entec Stations
    Exxon
    Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
    Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
    MFA Oil Co.
    Mileage Stations
    Mobil
    Ohana Fuels
    Phillips 66
    Quik Trip
    Road Ranger
    Scheirl Oil
    Shell
    Texaco
    Tri-Par Oil Co.
    U.S. Oil
    Which supports something to keep in mind: even though there are lots of different gas stations to get gas from, there are only 4 or 5 companies that actually make the gas. Most of the major petroleum companies have merged with each other over the last decade - Shell and Texaco, Exxon and Mobil, Conoco and Philips, etc etc. All those gas stations are getting the same gas from a small handful of producers which is to say, just about any gas you can buy is "top tier" (see list above).

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Which supports something to keep in mind: even though there are lots of different gas stations to get gas from, there are only 4 or 5 companies that actually make the gas. Most of the major petroleum companies have merged with each other over the last decade - Shell and Texaco, Exxon and Mobil, Conoco and Philips, etc etc. All those gas stations are getting the same gas from a small handful of producers which is to say, just about any gas you can buy is "top tier" (see list above).
    Ok, so check with your dad, he must have forgotten to tell you that when the fuel delivery trucks pull into the fill station, the gasoline is loaded into the trucks tanks and at that point the retailers requirements for detergents and other additives are mixed into the fuel by computer.

Like it or not, the retailers that meet "top tier" requirements have cleaner, better gas.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Ok, so check with your dad, he must have forgotten to tell you that when the fuel delivery trucks pull into the fill station, the gasoline is loaded into the trucks tanks and at that point the retailers requirements for detergents and other additives are mixed into the fuel by computer.

Like it or not, the retailers that meet "top tier" requirements have cleaner, better gas.

Not sure what you're trying to argue here. I think we are already on the same page. My point above is that almost all gas is the same - detergents and what not. I was basically saying that you'd have a hard time finding gas that ISN'T top tier.

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    I was basically saying that you'd have a hard time finding gas that ISN'T top tier.
    Not trying to argue, but I disagree. Here in New Brunswick, we have one of the largest refineries in Canada (Irving Oil). This refinery provides gas for the Irving stations, the Esso stations, the Petro-Can stations, the Shell stations and all of the local no name stations, like the co-ops). The 87 oct gas is pumped into the delivery trucks from the same nozzles at the refinery. However, the Shell, Esso, Petro-Can fuel is mixed with sufficient additives to pass the Top Tier certification. The other fuels (including the Irving brand) get little, or no, additives and do not meet the TT certification.
    Ray

'05 Envoy XL (sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast