GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2005 Sierra 1500 Cooling Issue

First of all, hello all, first time poster, so bear with...
    I have a 5.3 engine with a cooling problem. It started off by just a mystery leak somewhere. Not a bad leak, just a couple of quarts every month or so. This has progressed into an overheating issue. I was a gradual thing, slight overheating then cooling down and running normal for a while. It has progressed to where it spikes after just a couple of miles. Here is what I have done so far:

Thermostat (tried running with and without just in case it was a bad replacement part)
    Check oil - no coolant
    pressure test - 10 minutes at 18psi with no loss.
    Flushed radiator
    Talked very nice to engine, asking it to please behave
    Talked not so nice, threatening very unpleasant things if it not behave

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by KSheets61 View Post
    First of all, hello all, first time poster, so bear with...
    I have a 5.3 engine with a cooling problem. It started off by just a mystery leak somewhere. Not a bad leak, just a couple of quarts every month or so. This has progressed into an overheating issue. I was a gradual thing, slight overheating then cooling down and running normal for a while. It has progressed to where it spikes after just a couple of miles. Here is what I have done so far:

Thermostat (tried running with and without just in case it was a bad replacement part)
    Check oil - no coolant
    pressure test - 10 minutes at 18psi with no loss.
    Flushed radiator
    Talked very nice to engine, asking it to please behave
    Talked not so nice, threatening very unpleasant things if it not behave

Any ideas?
    Have check for leaking at the Water Pump, and that's just a guess.....

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Yes, no visible leaks, didn't leak with pressure test. Was going to replace the pump, but parts store said that didnt sound like the issue because heater is working fine.

Yes, no visible leaks, didn't leak with pressure test. Was going to replace the pump, but parts store said that didnt sound like the issue because heater is working fine.
    I saw that you did a pressure check, and just felt I would mention checking the water pump and it would drive me nuts, not to be able located the Leak.....

BTW.....I like the part about you talking to the Engine....I do the same thing......

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

5. Thanks KSheets61 thanked for this post

I am not sure what to look for next. kinda stumped here.

Legend

I am not sure what to look for next. kinda stumped here.
    this is the deal buddy. you have a leak. adding 2 qts of coolant is a big deal. since you cannot find the leak location I would add some bars coolant stop leak. premix some in the coolant drained from the radiator. remove top radiator hose at the radiator , add the sealer pre -mix into the hose then install hose and fill the coolant plastic pressure tank with no sealer just coolant/antifreeze. run until hot with the pressure cap off and rev a few times to remove air. see if the overheating air pocket / losse of fluid stops.

this mystery leak is usually the water pump engine gaskets. re-torque the water pump bolts also along with the bars sealer..

8. Thanks KSheets61 thanked for this post

I will give that a try. Even the guys at the parts store was scratching their heads. They didnt even want to sell me parts until i was sure it wasnt a waste of money just trying things. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Legend

I will give that a try. Even the guys at the parts store was scratching their heads. They didnt even want to sell me parts until i was sure it wasnt a waste of money just trying things. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice.
    this will work most times with this type leak. sure if its a head gasket no but the other areas it has worked very well. don't forget to snug down those WP studs...

Sr. Mechanic

I don't see why a good, stern, talking to didn't work! I think that works best for me! But was it for the dogs, the wife, or the truck!?!? OH wait, its for how the wife fixes things with me!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have to disagree with Jcat on one thing! Re-torqueing the water pump bolts is a risky move that might not play out like you would hope! That's just my HO.!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by zuki82 View Post
    I don't see why a good, stern, talking to didn't work! I think that works best for me! But was it for the dogs, the wife, or the truck!?!? OH wait, its for how the wife fixes things with me!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have to disagree with Jcat on one thing! Re-torqueing the water pump bolts is a risky move that might not play out like you would hope! That's just my HO.!
    I have found that with the water pump very large and the bolts very small in diameter but long, the bolts stretch and loosen after several years. re-torque to about 18 ft lbs. I am sure some will be loose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast