GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Dashboard gauge question for Suburban ???

Hey guys, the oil pressure gauge is finicky on my 2005 Suburban as it is occasionally pinned and works erradictly either pinned or over 80 psi . Also the tach is sluggish at times and shows no rpms or low rpms. Someone told me the cluster is bad. What is this and is it something I can replace myself ? What might the parts and labor cost ? Thanks in advance for your replies.

The stepper motors on the 2000s GM clusters are notorious for going bad. They can be replaced by you if you're very good with a soldering iron. Otherwise, leave it to one of the hundreds of companies that specialize in rebuilding these clusters.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

x2....on what Crawdaddy has mentioned with the Issue being the Stepper Motor's....below is the Back-side of a Dash Cluster, and the Stepper Motor's are the Items Circled in Red.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks guys. Sounds above and beyond for my mechanical skills. Any suggestions on where to get this part, how much, and labor costs to replace ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hairscrambler View Post
    Thanks guys. Sounds above and beyond for my mechanical skills. Any suggestions on where to get this part, how much, and labor costs to replace ?

The Stepper Motor's can be bought from E-Bay, and as far as Cost goes, it vary's depending on what work/repairs that are being done to the Dash Cluster......once again as
    Crawdaddy mention, there companies that specialize in rebuilding these clusters.

E-Bay
    has some Company's that do the Repairs on the Stepper Motor, below is digital-dash-solutions.....they are one that is often Mentioned, for doing Dash Cluster Repairs,

Link to Stepper Motor's,
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-X27168-OEM...6bcefd&vxp=mtr

Link to
    digital-dash-solutions
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-SALE-REB...3fc20c&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 02-02-2014 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added Infor.