GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default No tailights on my 1989 C1500 pickup

I just started having this problem with no taillights. Driving home lastnight, and the Headlights were on, I noticed when I turned, my directional were not working, and when I turned the Key off, it was making a funny..........like dying seatbelt alarm type sound, which I haven't ever heard b4. Today while driving with the Headlights off, the Directionals were working, and with every click...the indicator panel on my Heat/AC control was flashing along with the directional, on, and off, and when I would step on the Brake pedal, the Heat/AC panel indicator light would go out, till I took my foot back off the Brake pedal..........also, I have no back-up lights either? Things I have done today: Put all new Fuses in the Fuse panel( none were blown), installed a new Headlight Switch, and checked all the Bulbs in the Tailights..........They were all good. None of this helped my no Tailight problem. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on with this?? Thanks for any help !!! FS

Sr. Mechanic

first thing I would be checking is all the ground wires! The main ground that goes from the firewall to the engine block, batt. to the frame, then work your way to the back ones! During all this, keep an eye out for anyplace where the wiring harness might be rubbing! Good Luck!!!!

Sr. Apprentice

Besides what has been listed above have a good look at both bulb socket assemblies for signs of shorts or contamination (clean and lube with dialectric grease)
    1998 1500 w/t short bed 4.3

To The Club!! Check in the rear where the taillight wiring harness plugs into the harness that heads up toward the cab. Ive seen issues with where the plug gets all corroded and almost eating the plastic plug away until it shorts.. the signals and running lights might be shorting with ground. This would explain the strange lights coming on or blinking with signals ect. Wont hurt to check Hope ya find the electrical gremlin.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

X2 for grounds. Anytime you have other lights flashing with the turn signals, you have back feed through a poor ground.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    X2 for grounds. Anytime you have other lights flashing with the turn signals, you have back feed through a poor ground.
    X3 for checking grounds.

Do you have an after market trailer plug tapped in at the back?

IIRC the newer wiring harness for the box doesn't use the frame/box for ground anymore, so either you have dirty plug connections, or the ground point for the harness is getting bad.
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

Default Got them working again

Quote Originally Posted by airforrest View Post
    I just started having this problem with no taillights. Driving home lastnight, and the Headlights were on, I noticed when I turned, my directional were not working, and when I turned the Key off, it was making a funny..........like dying seatbelt alarm type sound, which I haven't ever heard b4. Today while driving with the Headlights off, the Directionals were working, and with every click...the indicator panel on my Heat/AC control was flashing along with the directional, on, and off, and when I would step on the Brake pedal, the Heat/AC panel indicator light would go out, till I took my foot back off the Brake pedal..........also, I have no back-up lights either? Things I have done today: Put all new Fuses in the Fuse panel( none were blown), installed a new Headlight Switch, and checked all the Bulbs in the Tailights..........They were all good. None of this helped my no Tailight problem. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on with this?? Thanks for any help !!! FS

It is the strangest thing.........I bought these aftermarket taillights off eBay about 6 months ago. I took them off the other day to check the bulbs, they were fine, so I plugged them back up, and re-installed them. Now everything works again???? Thanks everyone for all your input !! Forrest

Quote Originally Posted by airforrest View Post
    It is the strangest thing.........I bought these aftermarket taillights off eBay about 6 months ago. I took them off the other day to check the bulbs, they were fine, so I plugged them back up, and re-installed them. Now everything works again???? Thanks everyone for all your input !! Forrest
    Well..............The Tailights quit working again. It WAS a grounding issue, but not where you would suspect it! After replacing all the Fuses, the Turn Signal Switch, the Headlight Switch, and the Brakelight Switch........ The real culprit was this set of New, aftermarket Tailights I got off eBay ! There was actually a short in the Right Rear Tailight. I never would have thought that because they were new? Oh well.... live, and learn! lol Thanks again all for your inputs....

I shop ebay often but you do often get what you pay for.. A lot of chineese made stuff there.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper