GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Jr. Engineer BRB46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    209

    Default Oil pressure gauge stuck at 80

    My dash gauge is stuck at 80 with key in run position but engine not running. Also with engine running. Where is the sending unit located for this. 2006 5.3l. Is that the likely problem. About 110K
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    My dash gauge is stuck at 80 with key in run position but engine not running. Also with engine running. Where is the sending unit located for this. 2006 5.3l. Is that the likely problem. About 110K
    The Issue with your Oil Gauge, could be either with the Sending Unit, Wiring Connection or the Stepper Motor for the Oil Gauge has gone out/bad, of the three, I would lean towards the issue being with the Stepper Motor, as its a Common Problem on 2003" to 2006" Trucks/SUV's Dash Clusters.....so much so that GM HAD at One Time, a "Special Coverage Adjustment" on the Dash Cluster for this Issue with the Stepper Motor's.

    The Oil Sending Unit is located at the back of the Engine, on the Driverside, behind the Intake Manifold. It is Best to use a Sending Unit Socket which can be purchased at Most Auto Parts Outlets/Stores.


    Remove the plastic Vortec Intake Cover over the Top of the Engine to gain better access to the Oil Sending Unit.


    View from Rear of Engine



    MIKE


    99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN










  3. Likes RayVoy liked this post
  4. #3
    Jr. Engineer BRB46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    The Issue with your Oil Gauge, could be either with the Sending Unit, Wiring Connection or the Stepper Motor for the Oil Gauge has gone out/bad, of the three, I would lean towards the issue being with the Stepper Motor, as its a Common Problem on 2003" to 2006" Trucks/SUV's Dash Clusters.....so much so that GM HAD at One Time, a "Special Coverage Adjustment" on the Dash Cluster for this Issue with the Stepper Motor's.

    The Oil Sending Unit is located at the back of the Engine, on the Driverside, behind the Intake Manifold. It is Best to use a Sending Unit Socket which can be purchased at Most Auto Parts Outlets/Stores.


    Remove the plastic Vortec Intake Cover over the Top of the Engine to gain better access to the Oil Sending Unit.


    View from Rear of Engine


    Thanks Mike. Whats involved with changing a stepper Motor. Not familiar with that at all. I have seen it mentioned on here before but that's all. I recently had a high voltage problem "15.5v" and have since swapped alternator and that fixed that issue, now less than a week and this pops up. not sure they are related.

  5. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    Thanks Mike. Whats involved with changing a stepper Motor. Not familiar with that at all. I have seen it mentioned on here before but that's all. I recently had a high voltage problem "15.5v" and have since swapped alternator and that fixed that issue, now less than a week and this pops up. not sure they are related.
    In the Picture, the Stepper Motor's are Circled in Red, there's one Stepper Motor for each Gauge,





    The link below is a Write-up with step by step Instructions and with Pictures, on Removing the Stepper Motor's and Installing New Ones, check the link out, and it will give you a clearer picture on Removing and Installing the Stepper Motor's, and where you can buy them etc....

    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Stepper+Motors

  6. #5
    Jr. Engineer BRB46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    209

    Default

    That's great info. Only thing I didn't see was whether or not battery should be disconnected prior to unplugging the cluster. I am not looking forward to that project. Is there anyway to diagnose if the sending unit or stepper is the cause. prior to dis-assembly.

  7. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    That's great info. Only thing I didn't see was whether or not battery should be disconnected prior to unplugging the cluster. I am not looking forward to that project. Is there anyway to diagnose if the sending unit or stepper is the cause. prior to dis-assembly.
    Your Welcome....you would want Disconnect the Battery when removing the Dash Cluster....on to Diagnose if the Sending Unit or Stepper is the cause.....if you have a Hand-held Scanner, or a Friend has one, that reads Real-Time Engine Data, you would be able to see what the Sending Unit is Registering.

    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 06-06-2014 at 11:45 AM.

  8. #7
    Jr. Engineer BRB46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 99'HEARTBEAT View Post
    Your Welcome....you would want Disconnected the Battery when removing the Dash Cluster....on to diagnose if the Sending Unit or Stepper is the cause.....if you have a Handheld Scanner, or a Friend has one, that reads Real-Time Engine Data, you would be able to see what the Sending Unit is Registering.

    Thanks, I don't have a scanner or know anyone that does but that's OK. I was looking at them on eBay and might consider one with the LED lamps and change the look. I have good soldering skills so it wouldn't be an issue. Again thanks for the links and your time to help me. Brian

  9. Thanks 99'HEARTBEAT thanked for this post
  10. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    Is there anyway to diagnose if the sending unit or stepper is the cause. prior to dis-assembly.
    I'm thinking, what would happen if the cable was disconnected from the sending unit? If the gauge stayed at 80, real good chance the stepper motor is bad. If the gauge falls off, the sending unit might be bad.

    This is not science, just a theory.
    Ray

    '09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

  11. #9
    Jr. Engineer BRB46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Western Mass
    Posts
    209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I'm thinking, what would happen if the cable was disconnected from the sending unit? If the gauge stayed at 80, real good chance the stepper motor is bad. If the gauge falls off, the sending unit might be bad.

    This is not science, just a theory.
    The gauge goes to zero with key in off position, otherwise it's at 80. Didn't try to disconnect the sending unit wire. At least not yet.
    Last edited by BRB46; 02-04-2014 at 05:45 PM.

  12. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    The gauge goes to zero with key in off position, otherwise it's at 80.
    So with power on, it reads max. This could be the stepper motor, with only one "step", max; or, the sending unit produces a voltage change as the pressure changes, maybe the sending unit is only sending max voltage.

    The more I type and think about my previous suggestion, removing the wire will probably remove the voltage just like turning off the key. You probably won't be any farther ahead trying my suggestion.

    You probably need a scope, or a very good DVM to read the voltage changes from the sending unit.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •