GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 700R4 capability

See a lot of threads regarding 3/4 ton suburbans, but none on the 1/2 ton lineup! Anyway, I have a 90 v1500 with the 700R4 and I'm considering hauling a 76 Plymouth duster on my way back from visiting Tulsa, ok. It's about 1k miles and lots of big hills. The car itself weighs about 3,200lbs and will probably put it on a u-haul trailer. how will I fair with 214,xxx miles?
    Chuckie!!!

If your transmission is in reasonably good condition, and you install a transmission cooler (heat is the killer of auto trans), and you shift into 3rd on the hills, you should be ok.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

That's the million dollar question for me too. I have no clue how many pounds a stock 700R4 is rated to pull, but, they are used in the "light-duty" 3/4 ton pickups, so they have to be reasonably strong.

Once a year I tow my 10,000 pounds worth of camper with my 1991 Suburban 1500 and several times a year I regularly tow 6000+ pounds of car trailer with various vehicles and loads. Whenever I'm not towing empty, I'm in drive, not OD. I have a nice-sized stacked-plate cooler and a deep transmission pan and don't have any troubles.

I'd say with a cooler, you'd be fine hauling the Duster around.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    If your transmission is in reasonably good condition, and you install a transmission cooler (heat is the killer of auto trans), and you shift into 3rd on the hills, you should be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    That's the million dollar question for me too. I have no clue how many pounds a stock 700R4 is rated to pull, but, they are used in the "light-duty" 3/4 ton pickups, so they have to be reasonably strong. Once a year I tow my 10,000 pounds worth of camper with my 1991 Suburban 1500 and several times a year I regularly tow 6000+ pounds of car trailer with various vehicles and loads. Whenever I'm not towing empty, I'm in drive, not OD. I have a nice-sized stacked-plate cooler and a deep transmission pan and don't have any troubles. I'd say with a cooler, you'd be fine hauling the Duster around.
    boy I sure hope I answer that question right! Lol

I know I have a factory tow package that includes engine oil cooler and the tranny cooler is in the radiator for whatever that is worth
    Chuckie!!!

You really need an external cooler as the factory one in the radiator doesn't cool well enough.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Crawdaddy View Post
    You really need an external cooler as the factory one in the radiator doesn't cool well enough.
    ok. I figured that's what was being hinted at. What is a good operating temp for the tranny and where should the fitting for the trans temp gauge be installed?
    Chuckie!!!

Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

thanks!!!!
    Chuckie!!!

My average transmission pan temperature when cruising down the interstate at 70 with no trailer is typically around 175-200. The temp when towing a trailer doesn't really change from that.
    Christopher

Where should I install the trans temp sending unit?
    Chuckie!!!