GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Winter Olympics - Sochi 2014

Anyone else going to be watching these?

Unfortunately, they are shaping up to probably be not good. Facilities aren't finished (mostly hotels), some of those hotels' water is not drinkable, recent terrorism and continuing threats, a lot of outdoor course are dangerous, etc. I don't have a good feeling about the Olympics this year; it just seems like they'll be a disaster - if they aren't already.

Shaun White pulled out of the slopestyle even becuase he thought the course was too dangerous. Already today, a downhill skiing event was halted because one of the ramps was too tall and an Italian skiier was injured, and I heard the luge course may be adjusted because it is even faster than the one in Vancouver on which a guy was killed.

I'll be watching them when I can but I just don't think they'll be very good.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

I will not even bother trying to catch them. I will just wait for the highlights on the news. I think the reason the guy died in Vancouver was not because of speed, but because he hit a steel beam when he flew out of the course.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Yes, but why did he fly off the course?

well, speed of course I just watched the video of it. He actually did not leave the track. It was a poor design. one of the high walls had an opening with a bunch of steel pillars. He flew up the high wall and hit the pillar

But Putin said the Olympics will be totally safe...? LOL. I just hope for everyone there, that they all have a safe experience and no terrorists try anything.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

I'm pretty sure I'll just watch the highlights. The Olympics as an event are the single most watched event on the planet though.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I have been reading reports about this. Apparently, many of the media hotels are not done, can't drink the tap water, flooding in hotel hallways, plumbing not hooked up in places. I saw a thing where they did not finish a building so they had a giant tarp made with a picture of a building on it and hung it in front of the unfinished building. They are saying that basically as soon as you power up your laptop or phone it will be hacked. Ran out of pillows. This could be interesting. here is a link to the building story http://deadspin.com/unfinished-sochi...h-t-1515885820

I watched the opening ceremony earlier today and it was okay. What amazes me though is the fact these Olympic games are the most expansive (est. 51 billion) and environmentally friend games of all time. That's funny though because they tore up farm land and started constriction almost 7 years ago just to have the games. I do give them props though, building all new infrastructure in a limited amount of time is quit amazing.

It is a gnarly slopestyle course though. They got some huge conjones to hit some of those jumps.
    -K&N Air Filter