GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Synthetic alternative to Autotrak II fluid?

My 2001 Suburban 4x4 requires the Gm autotrak II fluid. Is there a synthetic alternative I can purchase at Autozone or Pepboys or do I have to go to the dealer?

Also where is the transfer case? I've changed the motor oil so I found that drain plug. I located the tranny pan and plug which is on the passenger side further back from the oil plug. Just not the transfer case.

Does anyone have a diagram or anything?

transfer case attaches to the back end of the transmission. If you've found the transmission, keep going back, and you'll run into the transfer case. Alternatively, follow the two driveshafts towards the middle of the truck, and there is the transfer case. Drain and fill plugs on most t-cases (including my NV246) are on the rear side of the case. Be sure to remove the fill plug before removing the drain plug. On mine, the fill plug takes a 5/16" square "key" which I couldn't find anyone selling. Ended up taking a 3/8" to 3/8" socket adaptor and grinding down the end to 5/16" square. In most cases it's nice to have that sort of thing taken care of before the t-case is drained.

To my knowledge, the AT2 fluid is already synthetic. I haven't yet found any aftermarket sources for fluid meeting AT2 specs, so I think the dealer is still the only source. If you (or anyone else) become aware of an aftermarket source, then let us know.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Thanks so much for your help. I'll start looking for fluid now.

Since you seem to know so much I'd like to ask another question if it's alright.

Is there any way for me to completely empty out all the transmission fluid? From what I understand most of it is stored in the torque convertor so a simple "drop the pan and empty" won't get most of the fluid. I'd like to switch to synthetic there as well.

Is a Jiffy Lube "transfusion" the only way to go?