GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What type of NONSENSE is this?

This is just waiting for an accident. What is it, anti-terrorism that it has to try to kill people that it goes up that fast? You can't put up deviced that can be potentially lethal if someone makes a simple mistake like that and follows a bus or service vehicle into an area this like.

I don't agree with this type of traffic control device at all. One of those vidoes looks like it hurt some kids in the vehicle.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUf1jYtsY_k&feature=related[/media]

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

Blog Entries

Soooo... it's the fault of the traffic device and NOT the drivers that try to do something illegal? Obviously this is meant to close off a particular route to anything but bus traffic. Why are the cars even trying? I can only imagine that there are signs with pictures of cars with big slashes through them and "BUS TRAFFIC ONLY" signs or something.

I think it's a great idea. The first car, you'll notice, gets up to the cylinders/plungers and backs up, then clearly tries to outrun it by speeding behind the bus to make it across. S/he didn't make it..

Not the fault of the entity that installed it. Fault the driver.

I wouldn't fault the city for the damage to my car for trying to go in an exit lane with large "severe tire damage" signs.

Traffic barriers, railway crossings, blinking lights, gates, severe tire damage strips/spikes... all put in place to deter drivers from doing something they shouldn't.

Just mho.
    Steven

"The Sarge"
    1999 Chevy Suburban LT- K2500
    7.4 454 Vortec, 4WD
    305/70/16 on Eagle Alloy

Quote Originally Posted by Springthing View Post
    Soooo... it's the fault of the traffic device and NOT the drivers that try to do something illegal? Obviously this is meant to close off a particular route to anything but bus traffic. Why are the cars even trying? I can only imagine that there are signs with pictures of cars with big slashes through them and "BUS TRAFFIC ONLY" signs or something.

I think it's a great idea. The first car, you'll notice, gets up to the cylinders/plungers and backs up, then clearly tries to outrun it by speeding behind the bus to make it across. S/he didn't make it..

Not the fault of the entity that installed it. Fault the driver.

I wouldn't fault the city for the damage to my car for trying to go in an exit lane with large "severe tire damage" signs.

Traffic barriers, railway crossings, blinking lights, gates, severe tire damage strips/spikes... all put in place to deter drivers from doing something they shouldn't.

Just mho.
    I don't think it's wrong to try to restrict trafic, but we all know that people can and do make mistakes ... following a vehicle into a restricted space is one of the most mild things that you could do as a traffic offense, and if you're in a small car and you can't see around the bus, I can see that you might never see the signs that tell you not to enter there.

Tire flattening devices are usually on private property, and are non-lethal. This thing goes up so fast that it can literally kill someone by stopping the car before they know they've done anything wrong. Don't do stuff that can kill people, put a camera there and send them a ticket in the mail or something like that before you do something that will cause harm. Put a cop there and give them a ticket. Human life is more valuable and important than it is to keep a bus lane open, especially when someone might make a mistake that would otherwise not harm anyone.

This is akin to the automatic machine-guns that lined the fences on the Berlin wall. There is no room for error.

Legend

Blog Entries

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFfSbI6ldI[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyUSLCe3S58[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsE_9EbFE54[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bDPqkE6e3k[/media]

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    ...ing the car before they know they've done anything wrong. Don't do stuff that can kill people, put a ca...

I'll agree with you there and I would hope that if it WOULD cause any sort of death or major injury they'd take steps to stop that. In the meantime... it just makes entertaining videos for me to watch

Sorry, I have no sympathy for those drivers who hit the traffic barrier.

If they tried to sneak through like the first guy, they totally deserve what they got. If it was an accident (like maybe the second car), then let it be a lesson to them to pay more attention when and where they are driving.

The way that barrier is designed is very well thought out because it's designed NOT to set off the air bags. As it rises, the front bumper clears without any problems. It continues to rise until the car gets hung up on it. Minor injuries, major damage to car, major incentive not to do it again ;).
    Last edited by Stargazer; 10-07-2008 at 01:07 AM.
    2007 Yukon XL Denali ~ Hardwired V1 Radar w/hidden display ~ PnP Sirius Satellite Radio ~ Weathertech Floor Liners ~ AVS In-channel Ventvisors ~ Chrome Lower-mirror Covers ~ Re-badged Rear Hatch ~ 17" ATX Thug Black Teflon winter rims ~ Putco Tailgate Handle Cover ~ Red interior dome lights ~ Chrome window sill trim ~ 30' Tango Travel Trailer

haha wow I don't think it's a good idea to have those things there. Imagine your a tourist and your following a bus while trying to find out where you're going then next thing you know BAM you slam into one of those oil pan killers.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM