GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default K&N or AEM intake

Hi i have an 05 chevy silverado K1500, 5 -spd. I want to put a cold-air intake on my truck and i have narrowed it down to the K&N or the AEM brute force intake. I was wondering which seems better from those who have them installed?

i dont know which would be better ... i would however recomend a plastic intake tube as opposed to an polished metal one.. you get more hp with the plastic one ..bc the plastic does not absorb as much heat therefore making the air cooler in turn more hp...
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    i dont know which would be better ... i would however recomend a plastic intake tube as opposed to an polished metal one.. you get more hp with the plastic one ..bc the plastic does not absorb as much heat therefore making the air cooler in turn more hp...
    awesome thanks for that info

Ive been looking at both of them myself for my 07 silverado. Haven't decided yet on which one to go with. aem says it takes a little longer to install over the K&N but I'm kinda leaning towards the AEM myself.

Quote Originally Posted by chevymaniac View Post
    awesome thanks for that info
    the k&n intake has a nylon tube where the AEM has the polished, does the nylon absorb heat?

AEM comes in Polished or PowderCoated. I'd go with the powder myself for heat reasons

Quote Originally Posted by adidasboy918 View Post
    AEM comes in Polished or PowderCoated. I'd go with the powder myself for heat reasons
    yea your right im going with the AEM thanks

Blog Entries

Lot's of intakes out there to choose from. i have a K&N on our suburban and love it but have also heard the AFE and the Volant are the better and I have not heard as much about the AFE. Do yourself a favor and do your homework on-line and look at the dyno charts etc. for each intake and read what others have to say about them before deciding. You will also want to decide on oiled or dry filter. A common myth is that oiled filters cause havoc with the MAF sensor on the intake. I have cleaned and re-oiled my K&N numerous times as well as the AFE I had on my Duramax for awhile and had zero problems. Rule of thumb is DO NOT OVER-OIL. The AFE is also proven to have the best filter element (Pro-guard 7) as far as the filters go.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

If you are concerned with heat issues then either powdercoated or polished metal are going to be the wrong way to go. Both are still made of steel which has a much higher thermal conductivity than the polymers that k&n and Volant use. Heat will detract form the power you can make, colder denser charges are capable of more power, but the ammount of loss form an intake tube will not be considerable.

I prefer the k&n because I have had fitting issues with the volant. Like dwill3015 said, do your homework as to what will produce the best benifit for your engine.

I have the K&N intake on ym truck and love it, right before I bought it I was gonna get the metal intake tube but was told that all it does is absorb heat and take away power from what your trying to create with getting an aftermarket intake, so your best bet to do it get the K&N or the Volant because they have the plastic tube, and the K&N is easy to install took me about 30 min. start to finish.
    1994 GMC Sierra 1500
    4" Rancho Suspension Lift, 2" Body Lift
    33" Tires
    True Duals with Cherry Bombs, Brush Guard, Cowl Hood

Sold 2008 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by