GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by edsmagichands View Post
    Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Haha, I quess we hit the enter button about the same time and you won (we need a high-five smiley).
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Well I did get a new starter .....twice, the first one, I tried hooking up the only other way possible and bam fried, every starter comes with a new solenoid btw, got the next one hooked it up the right way and still cranking as soon as you touch the cable to the battery even with just the power cable hooked to the starter, I completely removed the power cable itself and ran it back through the truck to make sure it wasn't frayed or bare somewhere, I put a new battery in it, new relays, something is just not adding up here

Well I hate to say it but it sounds like it's time for some pictures. Can you show us what you are working with?
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Anderson View Post
    Well I hate to say it but it sounds like it's time for some pictures. Can you show us what you are working with?
    My thoughts exactly! what do you mean " I tried hooking up the only other way possible and bam fried"

It's obvious there is a huge mis communication here.also you need a meter so we can help you test before installing.

Jr. Engineer

Wildbill, your only hooking up 1 battery wire, and 1 small wire! correct???? There is no "ground" wire! Correct???
    The starter grounds itself when its bolted to the engine! You DO NOT hook up a ground wire!!!!

Yes one power, one small wire, no ground. And the small wire only has power when key is is turned to crank position, power wire is fine, no flaws of sort in the insulation. We've been driving it just touching the battery cables together that I spliced in and its fine,, just doesn't seem safe haha, half tempted to just burn the thing to the ground and collect the insurance for another new truck haha

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill5613 View Post
    Yes one power, one small wire, no ground. And the small wire only has power when key is is turned to crank position, power wire is fine, no flaws of sort in the insulation. We've been driving it just touching the battery cables together that I spliced in and its fine,, just doesn't seem safe haha, half tempted to just burn the thing to the ground and collect the insurance for another new truck haha
    with the small wire power on when in cranking mode and then you still have the problem of the large 12 volt wire causing the starter to crank when attached then you have to mount the big wire to the other terminal... you have the big wire connected backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    you have the big wire connected backwards.
    This can be the only answer (unless there is something wrong with the power supply to the small wire.

There are two large terminals on the solenoid, one is factory wired to the starter motor; the other is the one you connect the red battery wire to. The large contact in the solenoid will connect these two large terminals together when power is supplied to the solenoid by the small wire.

Quote Originally Posted by edsmagichands View Post
    If the only wire connected is the battery + cable you have eliminated the entire start circuit as a possible cause. the only remaining possibility is a stuck/shorted solenoid or you have connected the battery + cable to the wrong terminal.
    Wild bill, i would sure like to see some pics! that was my response the day after your first post. it is apparent here everyone has the same opinion. some how there is a major mis communication here.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234