GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 5.3/LS15.7 comparability???

I'm curious about the compatabilty of the two engines. I will probably be doing this backward from most but my purpose is not necessarily to gain hp for racing. I am in the market for a new truck/suv but, everything in my price range has 160,000+ miles.
    I found a good deal on a ls1 long block from a 2001 Camaro SS. It only has 40k on it and I know thos engine was good to the owner. He did 11.4 in the 1/4mile with just bolt ons.

I know the LS style intake will fit on the 5.3 truck engine if you use the fbody accessories but, thats not where I'm going.

My question like I said may be backward from the norm. I was wondering if I could just swap the truck accessories & intake to the ls1 long block and call it a day. Of course I realize some tuning will be involved.
    2003 Tahoe 4x4 blacked out with 5.3L and small lift.
    1995 K2500 Single cab 3" body lift...on its way to the grave soon.

It depends on which year 5.3 you are talking about. If it's the earlier Gen III 5.3 then the intake and accessories should bolt on to the LS1 just fine. I don't recall which ECM the trucks used for the Gen III 5.3s, but you may very well need to use the LS1 ECM and harness as well.