GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Aftermarket intake and maf

Does anybody know if putting a new aftermarket intake setup on my '01 chevy would somehow mess with the mass air flow sensor? I've seen aftermarket sensors in catalogs like summit and stuff so it got me wondering. Thanks.

It will not mess up your MAF. The MAF recognizes the amount of air coming in and adjusts automatically to it. A nice cold air kit will start making it breathe better. I've talked to some pros about a bigger MAF, like the 80mm over the stock 65mm. Bringing in more air can hurt the performance side of things. I am getting my truck dyno'd this week and will find out if it does hurt it. I switched to the 80mm MAF a couple weeks ago.
    6" BDS Suspension Lift / 3" Body Lift / 38x15.50x20 Dick Cepek FCII on 20x12 Dick Cepek DC-1 (summer set) / 325/80/16 Dick Cepek FCII on 16x8 American Racing Diamond Back (winter set) / Hypertech Power Programmer III / Air Max Spiral Flow Air Intake / / 80mm Granetelli MAF / 80mm BBK Throttle Body / Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer / 2 Turbonators / Edelbrock Shorty Headers / 30 Series Flowmaster / 4.56 gears /

Quote Originally Posted by Calbaby968 View Post
    It will not mess up your MAF. The MAF recognizes the amount of air coming in and adjusts automatically to it. A nice cold air kit will start making it breathe better. I've talked to some pros about a bigger MAF, like the 80mm over the stock 65mm. Bringing in more air can hurt the performance side of things. I am getting my truck dyno'd this week and will find out if it does hurt it. I switched to the 80mm MAF a couple weeks ago.
    so an intake plus a 80mm maf is good??
    what kind of power/mpgs?
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

ok, thanks. I want to get dual exhaust before anything else though. Right now The exhaust leaves that cat and converges into one and that's it. We cut the muffler out but dual exhaust, one out each side behind the tires, will look reall good.

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    so an intake plus a 80mm maf is good??
    what kind of power/mpgs?
    the intake will help it breathe and produce a few ponies. I put a 80mm maf on but I have to have it dyno'd to see if it hurt or helped the hp. I was saying I talked to a couple pros about it and they said it could be hurting the performance side of things. It's bringing it more air than what the intake can handle eccentially. I also put on an 80mm throttle boy. When I go to the dyno, I"m going to do a few runs with what i have on now, and then swap out parts to see if I'm going up or down in numbers. The idea is to help it breathe to make it run better. But you have to realize that more HP means more fuel has to be burned to achieve that hp. The other thing you can do is go with a forced cold air induction. They sell kits at parts stores, or you can fabricate one with aluminum flex from lowes or home depot. Just run it under you bumper and up to the filter/cone. When the air comes in and goes right to the filter it's "forced" cold air induction. You may still get under hood heated air, but with the forced air, it's all fresh cold air. I'll post when I get the dyno done.
    6" BDS Suspension Lift / 3" Body Lift / 38x15.50x20 Dick Cepek FCII on 20x12 Dick Cepek DC-1 (summer set) / 325/80/16 Dick Cepek FCII on 16x8 American Racing Diamond Back (winter set) / Hypertech Power Programmer III / Air Max Spiral Flow Air Intake / / 80mm Granetelli MAF / 80mm BBK Throttle Body / Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer / 2 Turbonators / Edelbrock Shorty Headers / 30 Series Flowmaster / 4.56 gears /

I have a K&N FIPK and a Jet MAF. They work well together, but it does occasionally throw a check engine code, stating that the truck is running on a lean mixture. I had to take the MAF out and clean it real good (autozone sells aerosol MAF cleaner/do not touch the filaments!) which took care of the problem temporarily. I called JET and they told me that the oil from your filter builds up on the filament, causing the lean mixture reads, the sensor is thrown off with the oil on the filament.

I do have a Hypertech programmer as well, which may be part of the issue.

2007 Silverado LT Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    Dark Metallic Blue

Mods to come, just purchased on 10/31/09

Go Pack Go!

Quote Originally Posted by hutch_pt View Post
    I do have a Hypertech programmer as well, which may be part of the issue.
    I have cold air, maf, and throttle body, plus the hppIII and have never received a code. My MAF is a Granatelli. How long after you clean out the MAF, does it kick out the code? Or is this just after you clean your air filter and re-oil it?

the intake will help it breathe and produce a few ponies. I put a 80mm maf on but I have to have it dyno'd to see if it hurt or helped the hp. I was saying I talked to a couple pros about it and they said it could be hurting the performance side of things. It's bringing it more air than what the intake can handle eccentially. I also put on an 80mm throttle boy. When I go to the dyno, I"m going to do a few runs with what i have on now, and then swap out parts to see if I'm going up or down in numbers. The idea is to help it breathe to make it run better. But you have to realize that more HP means more fuel has to be burned to achieve that hp. The other thing you can do is go with a forced cold air induction. They sell kits at parts stores, or you can fabricate one with aluminum flex from lowes or home depot. Just run it under you bumper and up to the filter/cone. When the air comes in and goes right to the filter it's "forced" cold air induction. You may still get under hood heated air, but with the forced air, it's all fresh cold air. I'll post when I get the dyno done.
    oh ok i get it now ... yeah let me know what your results are..
    what happens when it rains (concerning the forced air)
    Ryan

36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    much more...

Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles

Quote Originally Posted by 04sierracrewcab View Post
    oh ok i get it now ... yeah let me know what your results are..
    what happens when it rains (concerning the forced air)
    air is lighter than water. It won't pick it up to the filter. Think about in all the ram air style hoods. It just collects there and then evaps. Doesn't make it to the motor. Maybe a little moisture or condesation.

air is lighter than water. It won't pick it up to the filter. Think about in all the ram air style hoods. It just collects there and then evaps. Doesn't make it to the motor. Maybe a little moisture or condesation.
    how does it connect to the filter??
    Ryan

36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    much more...

Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast