GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Shock Opinions

Default Shock Opinions

Yeah, I know opinions are like areseholes... everbody has one and they all stink... except yours...

Bone stock 96 K1500.

May be replacing shocks soon.

Like Monroe Gas Magnums... good combo of price, ride, load carrying etc...

Also like Rancho RS5000's... fair price, stiff ride, available in slightly longer sizes (1-2.5" lift)

Have learned there is no difference in part #'s or sizes between 1500 and 2500 shocks.

On my F150 with a mild (+/- 2.5") lift I ran F250/F350 shocks because they were longer / more travel.

Following are the measurements:

MONROE GAS MAGNUM P/N 34798 Front
    Compressed: 11.375"
    Extended: 16.50"
    Travel: 5.125"
    Price: $28/ea

RANCHO RS5000 (1-2.5" Lift) P/N RS5152 Front
    C: 11.625"
    E: 17.75"
    T: 6.125"
    P: $47/ea

MONROE REFLEX MONOTUBE P/N 911511 Front
    C: 11.375"
    E: 16.625"
    T: 5.25"
    P: $43/ea

MONROE GAS MAGNUM P/N 34763 Rear
    Compressed: 14.625"
    Extended: 23.875"
    Travel: 9.25"
    Price: $25/ea

RANCHO RS5000 (1-2.5" Lift) P/N RS5190 Rear
    C: 15.875"
    E: 26.25"
    T: 10.375"
    P: $47/ea

MONROE REFLEX MONOTUBE P/N 911526 Rear
    C: 14.75"
    E: 23.75"
    T: 9.0"
    P: $43/ea

I am planning a F150 Key (+/- 2" - 2.5" lift) and Full Length AAL (+/- 2" - 2.5" lift) in the spring.

Running 2008 Z71 rims with 285/70/17's.

Which would you run and why?

Is the extra 1" - 1.125" of travel worth the extra $20/ea?

Or will the "stock" length be fine.

Not going to be a trail rig, just my DD.

Will occaisonally tow a 10' utility trailer or a +/- 3000# pop up camper.

Thanky.

-cmc-
    Some stuff with wheels and motors...

lol, I just posted in response to this in another thread, In my opinion and the opinion of many others on this site, the best shocks you can get for a GM truck are Bilstein. I ran a set of monroe reflex on my 2003, lasted 6 months, I pulled them off and they no longer would extend. I just pulled a set of reflex monotubes off my 2005, lasted a year. Same thing would not return. I warrantied them out and sold the new to another poor sucker on CL. I replaced them with Bilsteins, far superior ride over the monroe that I had on it. I ran gabriels on my 2002, they lasted 6 years. Not bad, but I would rather spend the money and get something that rides nice and is going to last more than a year. Bilstein makes multiple length shocks for different application, checkout shockwarehouse.com or autoanything.com. I know shockwarhouse has tons of info on their site, but their customer service stinks, so I get my info there and order from autoanything.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

3. Likes cmcolfax liked this post
    Master Mechanic

I second Pikey. I had those monroe reflex as well and they were good at first but became junk quite quickly. I ordered the heavy duty blistens and they were well worth the price. They made my truck handle like a champ!
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Everybody loves them some Bilstiens!

When I had my Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited that's all anyone wanted to talk about too..

Must be something to it...

But I am a cheap bastige.

Ran the MAGNUMS in my F150

Ran half-a-dozen different shock combos on my YJ's, XJ and CJ7's...

(Yeah I am a "Jeep Guy"... new to the Bowtie!)

Will do more research...

Do either of you think the extra 1" - 1.125" of travel is worth the extra $$ on a DD rig that is only gonna get a 2" - 2.5" lift / level?

Thanks guys!!

-cmc-

Master Mechanic

I think I it would be because if they were they weren't I feel they would just wear out quicker

Quote Originally Posted by KyleZ71 View Post
    I think I it would be because if they were they weren't I feel they would just wear out quicker
    Sorry Kyle.... but WTF were you trying to say?

LOL

Master Mechanic

my bad I thought you were comparing shocks made for leveled/lifted vehicles vs standard.

I am throwing in for the bilsteins as I have them and think they are great. Expensive though. I haven't had experience with the monroes on a truck in a long time since I had my 1990 Toyota 4x4
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member