GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 Jimmy Will Not Shift Into Gear

Hi, I'm trying to help my brother out with his 1999 Jimmy with the 4.3L, as he is stuck without a car and walked 7.5 miles to work. The problem is that it will not shift into gear - Drive or Reverse. Any idea on what is causing it? More details:

It was running fine, and stalled when he pulled into the driveway. The next morning he goes out and it wouldn't budge. I found it to be charging fine at 14v running, but it had a bad battery. I was thinking that this could have been the case, since a bad alternator/battery can cause shifting problems.

With a new battery it starts/runs fine but will still not move. The shift linkage is working, and will go into neutral fine. It has electronic 4wd. 4wd won't engage either, the button just blinks and goes off.

Note: it has been very cold, with -40 windchill some days.

Any help would be great!

Does it stay in place when put into park or can you roll it even in park?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

They say no such thing as a dumb question, but I'm going to ask.....as I'm not that familiar with the blazer design..

Floor console shift or column shift?

My daughter had issues with a floor shifter interlock mechanism breaking and not letting it shift in/out of gear.
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

Yes, it stays in place when it is in park. You can move it like normal in neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    Does it stay in place when put into park or can you roll it even in park?

It is the floor console shift. The shifter itself seems to be working fine, and the linkage underneath looks to be working as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Anderson View Post
    They say no such thing as a dumb question, but I'm going to ask.....as I'm not that familiar with the blazer design..

Floor console shift or column shift?

My daughter had issues with a floor shifter interlock mechanism breaking and not letting it shift in/out of gear.

Well as long as it stays put in park and rolls in neutral it sounds like the transfer case should be ok, but doesn't sound good for the transmission.
    Hows the trans fluid, color and level. Has the trans oil filter ever been changed that you know of? How many miles.
    Sounds like a fluid flow issue internal to the trans that's not allowing it to "do it's thing" when not in park or neutral.
    There could be a number of variables. I'm no transmission expert by any means, so if someone knows more feel free to speak up.

A dirty/plugged filter, low fluid level, failing pump, are some of the mechanical/hydraulic issues to consider.
    If there is electronic controls in there it could be electrical not allowing the fluid to flow and engage things.

You can check for any wiring looms heading to the trans and make sure that the connections are clean and tight, check the fluid and change the filter, outside of that I'm betting that it's going to need an expert to look into it.

6. Likes bellaverde liked this post