GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hand held worth the money for stock '03 tahoe?

Basically I'm thinking of buying a hand held for my tahoe. Currently it is all stock. Isnit worth bthe money on a syock vehicle to buy the tuner? I do plan to do an CAI and exhaust in the future. Any input and best bang for buck tuner options would be grately appreciated.
    2003 Tahoe 4x4 blacked out with 5.3L and small lift.
    1995 K2500 Single cab 3" body lift...on its way to the grave soon.

I have a jet hand held. It is ok, I do notice a difference in shifting and it seems to have a little more power than before. My mpg went up slightly. In hindsight I would just spend the few extra bucks and get an autocal custom tune from Blackbear (still a handheld) or a diablew custom tune using a diablo tuner. I have been told that the results can be amazing from the couple guys I talked to that have custom tunes from these guys on stock trucks. My canned jet tune is nothing compared to the results these guys get

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

3. Likes 99'HEARTBEAT liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Em All View Post
    Basically I'm thinking of buying a hand held for my tahoe. Currently it is all stock. Isnit worth bthe money on a syock vehicle to buy the tuner? I do plan to do an CAI and exhaust in the future. Any input and best bang for buck tuner options would be grately appreciated.
    For Tuning your Tahoe, going with a Custom Tune will give you the Best Return on your Investment, and one of the Tuning Company's to take a look at is....Black Bear(Link Below)Performance Tunes, also you would want to do the Upgrades/Mods you've mentioned before going with any Tune.

Link

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/services.asp

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/faqs.asp

I have a Custom Tune from Black Bear, and from this Tune, .....Other than a Pure HP Gains, the Overall Drivability has been Increased.....I'm Very Impressed with the way My Engine Now Runs-n-Performs.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Thanks guys. I'm jot looking to get tons of hp but, I'd like to better my mileage and make sure everything is running smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke Em All View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm jot looking to get tons of hp but, I'd like to better my mileage and make sure everything is running smooth.
    Along with the Performance, HP Gains, my Fuel Mileage has also Improved.....from going with this Custom Tune from Black Bear.

Ok cool thanks I will definitely check these places out.