GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    You didn't look like you were terribly out of shape at nascar last year. I guess I'm oblivious to this stuff sometimes. lol.
    Nah, even though I am 70 pounds overweight, I have never thought I looked that overweight. Yes, I look overweight, but probably not 70 pounds worth. Maybe I am just good at hiding it.

My dad lost over 100 lbs a few years ago. He went on a very strict 1200 calorie diet, which most everyone says is too little, but he talked with his doctor and just as long as he got a lot of fluids and ate a good mixture of foods he would be find. His heaviest was over 300 lbs, and he's not been over 190 lbs in the last 4 years. He averaged about 4lbs per week of weight loss.
    Awsome job by your dad! They say to find your Basal Metoballic Rate (BMR) then reduce it by 300 to 500 calories. Your BMR is basically your resting, daily calorie burn rate. By consuming less food calories than your BMR, you should lose weight. My BMR is about 2300 so I am shooting for 1800 calories a day in food.

I lost about 40 lbs a few years ago doing a very strict low-carb diet. The only problem with this diet is that you can not drink too much caffiene and different people's bodies handle weird stuff like cheese differently, where that will make you stall. Otherwise, it was nice, but at some point when I was skinny I decided to have some chips and salsa ... next thing you know I gained it all back.
    This is why am leary about focusing too much on carbs. You cut them out to lose weight then gain a lot of the weight back when you start consuming carbs again. I have heard this same story from everyone I know that has tried it. I will continue to eat carbs and find a way to lose weight using exercise and other aspects of my diet so that I don't gain back any weight.

I really should probably stick to a 2,000 calorie diet and workout cardio like 3x week for 45+ minutes.
    This seems to be most doctors' concensus as well. Do at least 30 minutes of activity each day and don't over-eat.

Maybe we should do a contest to make it interesting???
    If we can get enough participants. Sure!
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140212_112315.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	57675This is my typical lunch & dinner. So yes, you can survive on chicken and veggies. Don't forget to take multivitamins and fish oil pills.
    2000 Silverado 5.3L Z71 4x4: K&N air filter, Procomp 16x8 rims, 285/70R16 Toyo AT2s, Kenwood head unit, Alpine 500.1 amp, 12" kicker, Infinity 5.25" speakers, Bilstein HD shocks, EBC GD Sport dimple & slotted front rotors w. EBC green stuff pads, Brembo slotted rear rotors & HIDs.

3. Likes jsmith4816, ChevyFan liked this post

Maybe we should do a contest to make it interesting???
    I'd be up for that, and my GF would probably join in as well.
    2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LT V6 (The Spanish Prison)

MODS:

Cobra 19 Ultra II CB and some generic CB antenna.
    55W 10000K HID High Beams (just to remind the wonderful citizens of Hampton that their High Beams are on)

Upcoming mods:

[_] Exhaust [_]Subwoofers [_]More HID's [_]LED's [_]MORE LIGHTS!!! [_]Carr Light Bar w/ 3 or 4 in round off-road lights. [_]Black out Badges [_]Black out exhaust tips [_]Black out imitation skid plates on front and rear [_]Hopefully find a way to keep fogs, low beams, and high beams on at the same time

Jason

5. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

I have read and it makes sense to me that our diets should be about 75% raw, fresh fruits and veggies and the rest our proteins, etc. We have to train ourselves to stay away from the processed food most of us have become so used to.
    Nothing's Too Heavy for the Chevy

To loose weight, eating healthy is about 90 percent of it. Drink lots of water, no pop, sports drinks etc. Lots of veggies and lean protein. Dont snack before bed either. If you find yourself wanting to splurge, do it for a meal, then go back to the strict eating. There are ways to improve your favorite meal too!

If you are new to working out, run a mile and see how you feel. Dont try to go balls to the walls right off the get go, you'll end up hurting yourself. Pick up some adjustable dumbells. I have a set that go up to 25lbs and can do a pretty decent full body circuit with them.

Remember, mind over matter
    You can do it
    and most of all, have fun
    -K&N Air Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69car View Post
    I've lost 20 lbs this month, I'm in the same boat. 6'4" and 320lbs when I started.

Eat protien, a lot of it. invest in foods high in protien. and stay away from the center aisles in the grocery store, those are where a lot of the bad foods are located.

Another thing that may help is switching to gluten free. This actually will benefit you in the sense that your body struggles to process gluten.

Last but not least. Walk, jog, or run. I walk 5 miles a day. You don't need anything crazy like insanity workout or anything like that in order to lose weight. Those workouts are if you need results quickly.

what your looking for is about 5 lbs a week. thats a healthy number. You also want someone to help support you, like a workout buddy. You should still go to the gym, but dont worry about lifting the heavy weights. Do Low weight, High reps. This will build muscular endurance which will burn more fat.
    Congrats on losing 20lbs. I think getting active is the key and then making the good food choices on top of that.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

I might as well throw in my $.02 here. Our old family dr. had some good advise and I know it helps, most of it has already been mentioned. There are two things he recommended which haven't been. 1. Eat a good breakfast. 2. Never have over 400 calories after 4 P.M.
    I grew up as a farm kid , when dad was still farming, usually that's how we ate, always had a good breakfast, our big meal was at noon & was called 'dinner', evening meal was 'supper' and was a light meal. Worked pretty good back then. Times have changed however. I've been back on the farm for almost 10 years now and have maintained my wt. but need to loose some too, first thing I've done is to get away from the beer! Hard to do, I really enjoy a good ale !! (or 3 )
    '07 2500 HD reg. cab, 5sp manual 4x4

When the need arises, any tool or object within reach becomes a hammer.

10. Likes ChevyFan liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    Also, I have cleaned out my fridge and pantry and I shop smart at the grocery store. Hell, I poured a bunch of perfectly good beer down the drain this past weekend so I wouldn't be temped to drink it. :( I also have a grocery list and stick to it and I stay out of the center aisles so I am not tempted to buy all the bad stuff.
    Noooooooooooooo. I didn't read this before. I mean there is a point where you can take it a step too far.

Congrats on losing 20lbs. I think getting active is the key and then making the good food choices on top of that.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by grampy View Post
    I might as well throw in my $.02 here. Our old family dr. had some good advise and I know it helps, most of it has already been mentioned. There are two things he recommended which haven't been. 1. Eat a good breakfast. 2. Never have over 400 calories after 4 P.M.
    I grew up as a farm kid , when dad was still farming, usually that's how we ate, always had a good breakfast, our big meal was at noon & was called 'dinner', evening meal was 'supper' and was a light meal. Worked pretty good back then. Times have changed however. I've been back on the farm for almost 10 years now and have maintained my wt. but need to loose some too, first thing I've done is to get away from the beer! Hard to do, I really enjoy a good ale !! (or 3 )
    This is pretty much the same thing my doctor told me. I went for my first (in 10 years or so) real physical this past September. Docotor's advice was to eat a small meal every 3 or 4 hours and to make breakfast the largest meal of the day and taper down from there so that the last meal of the day was the smallest. He also said you should have 12 hours (most of that being sleep) between your last meal of the day and the next day's breakfast.

And yes, I am giving up beer but that is only temporary. Once I get below 200 lbs and have a good grasp on my diet and exercies, I'll slowly incorporate some of the little luxuries in life.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... Last Post byLast Post by