GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Wow, well I wish you the best. If you can get out, it might not be too late. I looked up Deer Park and your elevation is only 24 feet, so you might get wet it looks like.

This storm is HUGE, so it's about to hit you pretty hard. We're expected to get 45 MPH winds starting tomorrow and we're hundreds of miles inland.
    haha i have been getting 45 mph gusts since noon and now its @ 40-45mph sustained
    Ryan

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4x4 (the Yellow Jacket)
    4inch suspension 3inch body
    Straight 6 (383 Stroker within a year)
    36inch SuperSwamper TSL.
    Detroit Loccers
    Daily Driver Weekend Wheeler
    much more...

2004 Sierra crew cab, 2wd, 5.3 V8
    2inch Daystar Leveling kit
    single dumped Flowmaster 40 sieries exaust(removed)
    Mb Blitz Chrome wheels
    Leer Bed Cover(for sale)
    50k miles
    :glasses:

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Ike looks like it fills up almost the entire Gulf Coast! How can a storm be THAT big?

Saw this quote: Hurricane Ike is following a track similar to the 1900 Galveston hurricane that killed 8000 people, the deadliest storm in US history

We're fortunate to live in a country that was founded on the principles of helping people, learning about the environment and protecting life. That's why we have evacuations ... an attempt to saves lives.
    Too bad FEMA and Homeland security havent figured out to actually handle that yet, take some tips from CUBA the whole place is flooded and only a handful of people died.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Looks pretty bad for the folks down in Houston/Galveston right now. I really like Galveston, would have liked to have lived there, but not with this Hurricane nonesense.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    Too bad FEMA and Homeland security havent figured out to actually handle that yet, take some tips from CUBA the whole place is flooded and only a handful of people died.
    Not to start any arguments or anything but personal safety is up to the individual not the Goverment. If you know a catastrophy is coming get your family and yourself to safety.
    What did people do before FEMA and Homeland Security? They looked out for themselves!
    I saw evacuation signs and information as far inland as New Mexico and heard info on the radio as far away as Arizona. Anyone who didnt get the word was deep under a rock or just doesnt want to hear.

Blog Entries

I read this morning that an estimated 250,000 people ignored evac instuctions and stayed behind.
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

From the reports I've seen so far it looks like lots of property damage but very little loss of life. The storm surge didnt crest as high as they feared which is a good thing.
    Now the only thing to worry about is loss of life from people protecting thier property, Texans can be a bit fiesty when they catch ya stealing from them, it's still legal to shoot cattle rustlers here.

That's very often the case that more people die after the storm is over than during the storm itself. Myself, unless I was far inland I wouldn't have stayed around there. However, the capacity on the roads is finite, the low-lying zip-code evac seems to have worked very well in this case.

I found a FoxNews database for Houston. Someone reported that Deer Park was hit pretty hard ... down fences, lots of standing water, roof damage, windows blown out, no electricity or water at all. May take a week or more to get back to normal life.

Houston and South Texas Members
    Get back on here when you can and let us know how you did and how long you were without power and water. God bless and take care of yourselves!

Legend

River Ridge Louisiana-4 miles W of New Orleans-didn't flood-water stopped 800 yards away.

The news reports- if you read between the lines- imply that it wasn't as bad as expected. The surge was 13.5 feet at Sabine pass,and that was the highest surge anywhere- 11 feet Galveston, 5 feet at Houston proper. Plenty of flooding but not the 20-25 feet some had been predicting.

It will be a miserable 2 weeks for Houston Metro because it is hot as heck,and power will be out for 1-3 weeks- no AC except for generators. We bought a cheap Coleman 3700 watts surge 3000 watts steady for $425 after Katrina. I heard that every generator within 500 miles of Houston was bought up-smart!
    It is miserable sweating like a pig in a dark house for 2-3 weeks with no refrigerated food, no way of cooking food .

Good luck to all
    Charlie
    1998 suburban-
    1/2 ton

199500 miles
    River
    Ridge,LA

i have survived ike!!!!!!!!
    a tree on my truck .. leaving it scrached :(
    there are alot of down trees and fenses (including mine)
    alot of property damage

it was very very very scary very high winds everywhere you look is trashed
    alot of flooding (not me!) several curfues ... no gas or open businesses ..
    but im ok!!!!!!

alot of damage down here, many people are going to have to start completly over (and a few of thoes not to far from me)
    yall pray for the victims

thanks !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast