GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Day 4: Sept 09.

I only had a couple of hours to work on the truck today. When my shift ended at my job tonight I rushed over to work on the truck with the intention to get as much done as possible, work all night if I had to. But I'm afraid mother nature had other plans, it was clear all day today untill I got to the truck and it began to storm, hard! Even though I am working under cover the ground under the truck floods quickly and the winds just about tear the make shift "Tarp Garage" apart.

While I was working, I did notice a few problems.

1) Because the engine is back a bit from an OE location, I can't get the trans dipstick tube back into place. So I'll be looking into an aftermarket piece, like a Lokar flexable.

2) With the engine mated to the trans, the flexplate is pushed right up onto the torque converter. And it's tight, so tight I can't spin either the torque converter or the engine over by hand I must not have the torque converter in all the way. While I have the driveshaft out I'll seperate the engine & trans a bit to see if I can't get the TC to slip in another click.

I'm beginning to think I should have used the adapter plates that had the LSx mounts & SBC mounts 1" away from each other, if I had I would run into major header & motor mount interference issues. Oh well, The majority of the weight behind the front wheels equals better weight distribution.. right?

Once it got dark and the ground became flooded I switched to the topside of the engine and finished up the wiring of the V8 fuel injector harness as well as lengthened the A/C high pressure sensor leads. Pulled the temp sender harness out of the loom a bit, made new heater hoses and a crankcase air supply hose.

The old 4.3L throttle cable bracket will not work on the L31 intake manifold. GM needed to order the new bracket and I didn't want to wait, so instead I bent and modified the 4.3L bracket to bolt on to the V8 intake manifold. Seems to be working thus far.

Hopefully tomorrow will prove to more prosperous. I don't work at the job tomorrow.

This swap is taking a bit longer than I had hoped for, but I also knew I'd run into a few unforseen problems doing a swap like this.

Cheers ~Mykk
    Last edited by 04SilveradoMykk; 09-11-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Vortec 357ci Small Block Chevy: Big cam, high stall, long headers, rear gears. The typical formula.

The top end is all finished. Spaced the A/C compressor a bit more, needed to get a longer belt. Tightened the A/C lines back down, ran new heater hoses. Modified the lower rad hose and used a new upper hose for a 98 truck 350 with a 34" core. Modified the 4.3L throttlebracket to fit the L31 intake and hooked the throttle & CC cables back up.

Finished grafting the V8 plugin to the 4.3L harness, lengthened the A/C high pressure sensor lead and pulled the coolant temp & ignition control module leads out of there loom a bit to get to the right locations.

The headers are getting there. The drivers side fits right in.

the passenger side fits the engine & clears the frame, however the collector hits on the corner of the trucks cab. I'm trimming away that area now.

The bottom end is another story however, I am having a major issue with the torque converter. The alignment snout on the TC is far too long and it's bottoming out on the crank before the engine block can even line up to the transmission.

I'll try to resolve this issue today with the manufacturer of the TC.

This is the final piece to my engine swap, I have no intention to use the factory TC is stalls far too low for this cam.

Cheers ~Mykk

Vortec 357ci Small Block Chevy: Big cam, high stall, long headers, rear gears. The typical formula.

Where did you get the horn system on your truck and how much did it cost?

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

So close guys, todays the day.

The new TC arrived yesterday. Despite it's different design compared to the OE converter, it fits like a glove. So yesterday I got the entire truck bolted back together and on the ground.

And this is what the CPS in the distributor looks like after getting upclose and personal to the firewall.

I robbed the CPS from the V6 and moved on.

The very first test fire, there was no fire. It just kept cranking. So I plugged in my laptop and saw, via HPTuners scanner, that TPS signal was 98% at idle and it wasn't reacting to my right foot. Upon closer inspection, I had the TPS harness plugged into A/C high side pressure sensor and visa verse. (Doh) So I put the right plugin in the right sensor and tried again.

It wants to fire up, it spits & spudders... I have a feeling it's a timing/distributor thing. So this morning I'll go put the #1 cylinder to DTC and see where the dist rotor is pointing.

More updates soon.

Cheers ~Mykk

Well gents, I got as far with it in the amount of allowed time that I could. In the name of getting my truck running I hired out the rest of the job. So the truck was towed to a freinds shop where he will set the distributor to 0 degree via scan tool, make the new Y-pipe from the long tube headers back. And will fix a newly formed problem, one of the hard lines on the power steering rack was somehow busted and spewing PS fluid. (as you can see by the spot as itwas getting loaded on the flatbed)

All in all I feel good about the project... I hand built my motor from a bare block & heads, and made it fit in a frame never intended for it. I just might have my friend wait to fire it up until I get there so I can be there for the intial run (with camera in hand)

Cheers ~Mykk

Can't wait to see it all finished and running! You have one seriously awesome truck man!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

that is awesome. i wish i could be a part of a build
    2000 silverado with a 5.3l v8, shorty headers, upgraded plugs, 10 mil wires, magnaflow high flow cats, flowmaster 80 series muffler(2 in 2 out) w/ 18 inch stainless silverline tips. i have a k&n CIA. its a 4x4 z71 offroad package. Ls model.
    extended cab 160k miles, truxedo low profile bed cover, diablo sport predator tuner.
    reman tranny @ 130k miles
    Chris

Yeah this really is an awesome project. I can't wait to see the finished product. Keep us posted.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

holy crap that is an awesome project indeed. i cant wait to see it done and see some burnouts!! or a run at the track will work too
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

Sharp looking truck

You never did tell me where you got your horn or how much it cost

2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 2WD EXT Cab
    4.3L V6 Vortec, K&N Drop-In, Flowmaster Super 44,
    3" Exhaust tip, 22" Boss #331 Rims, Clifford 50.5x Alarm,
    Escalade Gauges, DJM Leveling Kit, Billet grill, All JL Audio Speakers,
    300XD MTX amp, Two 10" Alpine SWE-1042 subs

-Check out my photo album!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast