GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default heater blowing cold when temp is under 20 deg oitside

I have a 88 k1500 Silverado with 5.7. When temps get cold out especially in the below zero and.colder range, my heater is blowing cold. My stat is working as it reaches about 200-210 then opens and drops to 190 or so. Both heater hoses are hot and air is nice and warm above 20 deg or so outside. The temp control is moving the blend door and have good blower flow. When temps get really cold the engine temps go down to 150 and sometimes even less. I am thinking a cold weather front would be best start to keep airflow from radiator and get engine temps up. Any suggestions ?

Yeah its common to see people put cardboard or something in front of the radiator to help with increasing temp..Ive had a couple chevy trucks that seem to run unusually cool all the time.. Not sure why though.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    Yeah its common to see people put cardboard or something in front of the radiator to help with increasing temp..Ive had a couple chevy trucks that seem to run unusually cool all the time.. Not sure why though.
    This is the first gasser I have had issues with running cool. As said only when. really cold. I'll get a cold weather grill cover. Don't drive it much except in snow and so forth. Only has 94k. When I got it from my GPA( original owner) I flushed coolant system, changed thermostat, all coolant hoses, back flushed heater core. Changed stat from a 180 to a 195 since I pulled the plow and welded new rad core support brackets on with new bushings.