GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Header Help

Quote Originally Posted by dobey View Post
    Well, leaking exhaust is not going to help, no matter what headers you go with. You probably aren't going to notice any actual difference on a stock engine. If you aren't doing head work, and running with the stock intake manifold, and stock cam, then exhaust isn't going to make any real difference in performance for you. The factory manifolds actually flow quite well. The only actual difference you're going to notice with an exhaust installed on a factory engine, is the sound.

As for primary size, you want to match the ID (and ideally the shape as well), with the exhaust port on the heads. I don't recall what the port diameter is exactly on the newer heads, but I think they're at least actually circular now. The #243 heads are D ports, and I think 1 5/8" diameter.
    Thanks for your help, I'm going to have to do some checking.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    American racing headers all they way for me... good quality gaskets will keep them from leaking.
    ARH is what I'm leaning towards right now. I learned the hard way that you get what you pay for…
    I didn't use the gaskets that came with the gibson headers…they were junk.

I've always loved your truck by the way -- very unique. Looks great!

When you are looking at headers.... you will have two sizes available. The larger will have a lower note. Headers will give you faster throttle response and HP... but to take full advantage you will require a programmer or a shop to reprogram your ecm.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Quote Originally Posted by TimTom64b View Post
    When you are looking at headers.... you will have two sizes available. The larger will have a lower note. Headers will give you faster throttle response and HP... but to take full advantage you will require a programmer or a shop to reprogram your ecm.
    I will be doing the EFI live tune from BlackBear this summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12