GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Towing with a V6 and what about Cold Air Intakes

I purposely bought the 4.3 Silverado because I dont really need the V8 power( Why go fast in a heavy truck....Ill just go buy a used Fbpdy to go fast with ) . However, I would like to squeeze some extra HP out of it with a CAI. Are there any out for the 07-08s? They seem hard to find. Also, will towing small loads such as band trailers be a problem for the V6? Its a enclosed trailer about 10 ft long and usually filled tight with amps, speakers and monitors. Our 01 5.3 Tahoes pulls it like it not even back there.

Thanks!
    Geoff
    Dark Cherry 2008 Silverado WT V6 Reg Cab
    Only option.....limited slip diff...YEA!

As long as the trailer isn't more than 2.5 tons, you can pull it. With your tahoe, it's about 4.5 tons you can pull.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Blog Entries

There are a bunch of upgrades out there for your 4.3. even puting aftermarket exhaust and a performance tune would give it a much needed boost. Volant does make an aftermarket intake for your application.Here is the LINK
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

if you change the intake --do not go with the under the hood open eliment air filter. this just sucks in the heated air and can drop power, but it sounds louder so it sounds faster. use a stock cotton replacement and remove the kinks and mufflers to a cold air supply and you will be very happy.....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

You can also put on an intake manifold spacer. Here is the link to one at partstrain.com http://www2.partstrain.com/store/?N=...996+11920+6245
    6" BDS Suspension Lift / 3" Body Lift / 38x15.50x20 Dick Cepek FCII on 20x12 Dick Cepek DC-1 (summer set) / 325/80/16 Dick Cepek FCII on 16x8 American Racing Diamond Back (winter set) / Hypertech Power Programmer III / Air Max Spiral Flow Air Intake / / 80mm Granetelli MAF / 80mm BBK Throttle Body / Helix Power Tower Plus Throttle Body Spacer / 2 Turbonators / Edelbrock Shorty Headers / 30 Series Flowmaster / 4.56 gears /

Mike,

When you say to eliminate the kinks, etc., would that be the intake tube between the air box and the throttle body?

If so, Air raid sells just the intake tube which is straight, and not kinked. Would that suffice?

Thanks

2007 Silverado LT Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
    Dark Metallic Blue

Mods to come, just purchased on 10/31/09

Go Pack Go!

I think i just replied to you in an email, but yes look at the current setup and look for the easiest way to get cold fresh air to the airbox. replace the stock filter (paper) with a cotton stock replacement and look at the line to the intake manifold. remove the little air mufflers or make new lines out of ABS......mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well