GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't know what the terrain on your route is like, but that is a pretty healthy load. uphill climbs will definitely generate a lot of heat. as ray voy said,a trans cooler would be a great idea. i will say 900 miles is a long drive to be stressed out. so the question is, how much is peace of mind worth to you?

Hi Dante

Some years ago I towed a 6x12 U-haul from Atlanta to Minneapolis with a 4 cyl Toyota pickup. No big deal they are not huge trailers in the greater scheme of things.

Three years ago I was towing an 8.5x24 trailer when I moved and still couldn't fit everything however at that point I had the 2500 'burb. But I digress

The 4L60e transmission is extremely solid and was installed in heavier applications behind larger engines. I wouldn't worry much. The advice to tow in 3 rather than D is wise because it will reduce the number of shifts and torque converter locks/unlocks and therefore keep temps down.

If you are moving this time of year the relatively lower outside air temps will work in your favor.

If you don't know the service history it might be a good idea to change the trans fluid and filter.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

@Jamm3r that really sets my mind at ease. i wasnt aware of what else the 4l60e was equipped in, probably should have looked into that before getting worked up. planning on a pre-trip tuneup... oil change, trans flush and filter, plugs and wires, and brakes. terrain is mostly flat since i'll be avoiding the mountains in TN. gonna look into a trans cooler as well. thanks all for your input. btw i totally had a brainfart on the tongue weight, thats what will be forward of the axles
    Last edited by dante36445; 02-19-2014 at 09:53 PM.

Jr. Engineer

We used to haul a trailer with 300 gallons of water with our old jimmy! Not a long trip, 10 miles, but it wasn't fun! If I didn't place the tank correctly, it was either too far forward, lifting the front wheels, or too far back, making the rear wheels too light! Proper load placement is a must! If you aint gonna put money into your tow vehicle, then low and slow is the way to go! As a trucker for 30 years, I'v seen my share of truck/trailer accidents from big rigs to little trucks and campers/ boats!

Quote Originally Posted by dante36445 View Post
    @Jamm3r that really sets my mind at ease. i wasnt aware of what else the 4l60e was equipped in, probably should have looked into that before getting worked up.
    Well, they put them in a few 3/4 ton pickups for a while, and while I don't think anyone would claim that that was necessarily the best idea GM ever had, it demonstrates the capability of the trans. They were widely used in 1/2 ton trucks, Yukons, Tahoes, and Suburbans, and worked out pretty well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12