GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Angry New Engine Belt Is Chirping

This past September (about 6 months ago) I replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner. My OE belt was 13 years old and never made a sound. The past couple of weeks my new belt has chirping. It's not super loud but it is noticeable and it seems to be constant. Again, the belt and tensioner both are brand new. What could be causing this chirping? It's quite annoying and I don't like my truck making noises it shouldn't be, especially from brand new parts...
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

What brand? I know with v-belts the new parts would chirp a little until broke in, but I'm not positive that still holds true to the serpentine belts. That's obviously not the case here though. After 6mo that belt better be broke in rofl. It's especially common with the value line at the parts house. My best guess is that you ended up with a defective part. Have you checked to see if the tensioner is bouncing?
    Last edited by BurbanMan; 02-17-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    Chuckie!!!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    This past September (about 6 months ago) I replaced my serpentine belt and tensioner. My OE belt was 13 years old and never made a sound. The past couple of weeks my new belt has chirping. It's not super loud but it is noticeable and it seems to be constant. Again, the belt and tensioner both are brand new. What could be causing this chirping? It's quite annoying and I don't like my truck making noises it shouldn't be, especially from brand new parts...
    put the old belt on ..

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    put the old belt on ..
    Clint, my suggestion as well. Then you can narrow it down to the belt, or some other part. Usually, it is the belt that makes chirping sounds, I think it must be a slip and it acts like a tire chirping when it gets too much gas.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

The belt is made by Dayco and I got it from Autozone.

I can't put the old belt back on...it's in File 13 somewhere.

Had the same problem with dayco , got a gates and its problem solved for me.
    Last edited by PLATOKIDD; 02-17-2014 at 07:52 PM.

The belt is made by Dayco and I got it from Autozone. I can't put the old belt back on...it's in File 13 somewhere.
    Problem #1- dayco

problem #2- dayco

Take that darn thing back and throw it at them for no longer carrying gatorback. Then go to napa or oreillys and get a belt.

Dayco was not the cheapest belt available. I thought I did OK going with it. Guess not. :(

Dayco was not the cheapest belt available. I thought I did OK going with it. Guess not. :(
    sold them at pep boys and had nothing, but complaints from people. They definitely aren't cheap either. Really ticked me of because people were forking over $30+ for a flat, black turd that didn't come with Lube unless you purchased that at the same time for additional cost lol

Iv'e seen this before, recently on a 4.3L. aftermarket belt, no matter what brand,was slightly longer than GM belt. couldn't tell by looking but belt #s confirmed it. parts stores swear it was the correct belt. after numerous belts, and much frustration, put GM belt and no more squeaks. have also seen aftermarket tensioner with less travel than the factories compounding the problem. also, not very likely , but there have been some cases of the P/S pulley walking a hair and causing a belt chirp.