GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Coolant/Radiator or Thermostat Issue

Hi, my name is Doug. I'm new to the forums. My girlfriend has an s10 with some sort of leak/drainage problem. When we fill up the coolant reservoir, in a short period of time it's empty. The radiator seems to stay full though. I'm not certain how it works exactly, but I do know the reservoir isn't supposed to be empty that quickly. I'm worried this may cause pressure issues that could damage the radiator. Any information on this will be a great help.

-p.s. if the thermostat is not malfunctioning then the engine temperature is doing ok. -no overheating

Look for a puddle under the car when parked. It helps to put down a clean sheet of cardboard.

A radiator pressure tester makes these problems much easier to find, best $70 you'll spend

If there are no visible leaks you probably have a leaking head gasket.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

There are numerous reasons for what you describe. head gasket leak is a possibility,but a a major repair. give us the engine size, year & mileage and perhaps we can help you narrow it down. DON'T GUESS, TEST!

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    A radiator pressure tester makes these problems much easier to find, best $70 you'll spend
    Also, instead of buying, rent. Rent tools at an auto parts store.

Wags
    1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer
    4.3L, TBI, 4x4