GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default How to determine if the instrument cluster has been rebuilt

On my 2004 'burb the instrument cluster has a number of lights that have burned out. I have to tear the dash apart for some other repairs.

I'm trying to decide whether to just buy some new lights and put them on, or have the whole thing rebuilt with new gauge motors. If it's already been rebuilt once then there's no reason to do it again. Is there a way to tell whether that's been done?
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

I'm in the same boat with the gauges not working correctly and a light out. Interested in seeing what replies you get. You can see my responses too below.

if the dealer did it they usually just replace the cluster. when they do this they tend to put the correct mileage but they never update the engine hours. I figured this out by looking at a few trucks that had dealer replacements. I divided the miles (120,000) by the hours displayed (1500) and the result said that the owner had to average 80mph over the life of the truck. I have done it a few times and whenever it has been an average above 35 mph the cluster had been changed. Some private shops will put a sticker on the back of the cluster with a rebuild date, others do not.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

4. Likes 99'HEARTBEAT liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    whenever it has been an average above 35 mph the cluster had been changed
    Always wondered why the engine hours were implausibly low when I got the 'burb, that explains it. Probably replaced by the dealer.

I'll solder in some new lamps and call it good. Thanks!

The cluster had a sticker indicating it was rebuilt. Thanks, Pikey!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    The cluster had a sticker indicating it was rebuilt. Thanks, Pikey!
    When you are changing the bulbs see if you can locate a part number on the stepper motors. The issue is that I think the number is printed on the section that fits against the circuit board. The old part number is C5.168, these are the ones that fail. Some rebuild companies used the old model before the new models came out or are still using old stock C5.168, leaving customers on the hook for another repair in the future. The new model number is X27.168. While I have a hard time saying "never" a few rebuilders that I have talked to claim that the new X27.168 "never fail". If you discover that the old number motors are in your cluster and decide to replace them PM me, I know of a place that sells all of the motors (new model number) and bulbs for $47 with shipping included or $20 bulbs for $15
    Last edited by Pikey; 02-24-2014 at 10:23 AM.