GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Cool Electric Fan Question

I have a 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L, and am looking to upgrade to an electric fan over the engine driven. The question I have to people who have done this before is what is the best, reasonably priced electric fan to get? I've read that fans out of 05' and newer Silverado's will bolt right up, but which is a good option? All the reviews I read on Amazon for the aftermarket fans are mixed, and there are quite a few reviews concerning the amount of amperage the fans draw. I was going to get the wiring harness Ill need to have the computer control the fan from LS1fans.com and the tune to enable the function from black-bear-performance. One other question I have is what amperage alternator will I need to support the electric fan draw? And feedback is greatly appreciated.

I bought a flexalite dual electric fan with variable speed, so it doesn't turn the fans on full blast if it's not too hot. I spent $500 on the full kit which included everything in the box, brackets to bolt up to the fan so all you need to do is drop it in and bolt it down with 3 bolts, then a couple little wires that go to the control box and a temperature sensor that you lightly push through the fins on the radiator. This thing really moved air.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend

these electric fans are not a good design for trucks. the mechanical fan does the proper job of removing heat,,, this is NOT an upgrade I would call it a down grade.. I have never had any cooling issues with the OEM mechanical fan. If you have several hundred to blow do it ...it will not change anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to add that the electric fans do NOT run all the time.... what that means is the engine compartment will be hotter than with the mechanical fan set up as designed by OEM GM..

If you live where it gets to 110 0r higher deg f adding a fan forward of the ac condenser to aid in the cooling would be a good idea...also if your always in traffic with these temps...

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    these electric fans are not a good design for trucks. the mechanical fan does the proper job of removing heat,,, this is NOT an upgrade I would call it a down grade.. I have never had any cooling issues with the OEM mechanical fan. If you have several hundred to blow do it ...it will not change anything.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to add that the electric fans do NOT run all the time.... what that means is the engine compartment will be hotter than with the mechanical fan set up as designed by OEM GM..

If you live where it gets to 110 0r higher deg f adding a fan forward of the ac condenser to aid in the cooling would be a good idea...also if your always in traffic with these temps...
    The mechanical fan doesn't spin from no where, it takes power from the engine to turn the fan. Putting an electric fan frees up resistance. Which gives more power. What do fans do? Move air, electric or from the pulley, is one type of air flow different?

That's good that the fan doesn't run all the time, faster warm ups, not wasting energy turning a fan for no reason. Plus a warmer engine compartment equals warmer coolant temperature which will turn the fan on. Keeping the engine at optimum operating temperature. if electric fans are so bad then why does GM put them in their new vehicles?

having the fan controller by the Ecu kicks the fan on when you run the air conditioning, just like my flex alive does. So there is no downfall, it cools your motor, frees up horsepower, optimum temperature, faster warm up. What's wrong with that.

Ahem, cough cough. The belt driven fan does not run all the time either. It is on a temperature controlled clutch. Most of the time, it is just free-wheeling around in there.

Legend

so the electric fans run on free energy, right !

hello to every one
    I am Mr. Saleh from Saudi Arabia

And this is the first time I join a forum where non-Saudi.
    I own a GMC Truck 2009.2500 HD
    Installed a special fan for A Subaru car multiple speeds
    Heat level has not decreased but the fan gave an increase of horses.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Volcano View Post
    hello to every one
    I am Mr. Saleh from Saudi Arabia

And this is the first time I join a forum where non-Saudi.
    I own a GMC Truck 2009.2500 HD
    Installed a special fan for A Subaru car multiple speeds
    Heat level has not decreased but the fan gave an increase of horses.
    what temperatures are you dealing with ?

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    so the electric fans run on free energy, right !
    Of course not. They put a load on the alternator since it requires more amps, which puts a load on the engine to keep it turning. Nothing is free. The only real energy gain is that the plastic fans are lighter so they actually use up a tiny (very tiny) bit less energy.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Of course not. They put a load on the alternator since it requires more amps, which puts a load on the engine to keep it turning. Nothing is free. The only real energy gain is that the plastic fans are lighter so they actually use up a tiny (very tiny) bit less energy.
    so you think that this loads only the alternator , right ! how many watts are the oem fans total ? how about a few hundred watts..

what it does do to the alternator is over heat it...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by