GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Recent GM Factor Paint Job Problems?

I have been going to the dealer looking at new and used Silverado and Sierra's and did not know how crappy the factory paint is. I really noticed this when I was driving to work a few weeks ago and a solid back (new model) Honda Accord passed me with what looked like some $30,000 custom paint job.

I could tell that this was a higher quality paint job like I see at classic auto shows were people have sunk some money into the paint. So to really see if this was the case, I stopped by one of the largest dealerships on the east coast (Hendricks in NC) and checked out both the Honda and GM show rooms and the cars and trucks on the lot.

Apparently Honda and Acura had major paint/clear coat problems years ago and they made an effort to fix them. For a "factory" paint job, they are near flawless compared to the orange peel ridden junk GM is putting out.

If I am picking a truck off the lot (A vehicle they already have) I am stuck right?. If I place an order for a truck from the factory to be delivered to the dealer, can I put an amendment in that contract that they have to fix the !@#$%^&*() paint or there is NO SALE.

Quote Originally Posted by PantheraUncia View Post
    I have been going to the dealer looking at new and used Silverado and Sierra's and did not know how crappy the factory paint is. For a "factory" paint job, they are near flawless compared to the orange peel ridden junk GM is putting out.

If I am picking a truck off the lot (A vehicle they already have) I am stuck right?. If I place an order for a truck from the factory to be delivered to the dealer, can I put an amendment in that contract that they have to fix the !@#$%^&*() paint or there is NO SALE.
    Good luck with an amendment. yeah I agree the paint jobs are junk.... I looked under my truck before I bought it and noticed the floorpans are just oversprayed slightly... Bare metal!!! Also after I painted my hood and polished it I noticed how bad the orange peel was in the rest of the truck... Not to mention the scratches across the bed rails I havent been able to hand polish out from the dealership dragging the bed mat I asked to be thrown in across it. UGGHHH dont even get me started

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35" Nitto Dune Grappler Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Hell no ! wither you buy new or used, If the paint isn't up to par, don't accept the vehicle. I don't know about Honda, but todays paint work is complex and with the EPA bull&^%$# it is real tough to come up with a factory paint that will last 5 years. I'm pretty sure that is the warranty on a paint job, I bought a brand New Ford F150 and it had a warranty of 5 years on the paint. Heck, you look at the sales brochure and the paint work is flawless, and that is what your buying. And like I say, just don't accept the vehicle.

And never let any dealership give you a headache, just call General Motors Customer relations. These people work tirelessly at working on customers reaction and getting things done. A few years ago I bought a Chevy Monte Carlo, and it had the Z34 engine and was tied up in the shop for over a month trying to get to run right, the dealership wasn't getting things done so I call General motors customer relations, they got on it and the car was fixed in 1 week. And there was some things done that was under warranty, GM paid for the whole job. the 21st century General motors is a totally different company now. And here in SE Pennsylvania, Chevrolet has closed 3 dealerships that were problem dealerships. As a Dealership, you work for General motors or you don't sell Chevys, Period. They get one too many complaints, they'll send a compliance person down to see what the problems are. General Motors is a global company and they are going head to head in the fight for customers. Japanese, European or South Korean anybody they want your business and they'll do what it takes to keep you. I take my Corvette to a family owned dealership about 40 miles from here. The last time I had my 2007 Pontiac in for oil change and state inspection. $132.00 and I was on the way home and I noticed that my car had new windshield wipers. I looked at my invoice and they didn't charge me one cent for the new set of wiper. That kind of treatment is what and why I drive the 40 miles back and forth for their service work. give them a chance to fill your expectations, you'll see. I know where I'm buying my next Silverado from.

I hear what you are saying , I go to Wilson Chevrolet for any service work on both my GM vehicles, they are always very good to me, always go a little extra to earn my business, and always give me a heads up in advance when some type of service is coming due with an exact cost. And it is always returned to me cleaned. A well tuned dealer is worth its weight in gold.I know its not the sign hanging that makes it great, its the people at the dealership that make it great. Yes GM factory paint jobs are crap.

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    Hell no ! wither you buy new or used, If the paint isn't up to par, don't accept the vehicle. I don't know about Honda, but todays paint work is complex and with the EPA bull&^%$# it is real tough to come up with a factory paint that will last 5 years. I'm pretty sure that is the warranty on a paint job, I bought a brand New Ford F150 and it had a warranty of 5 years on the paint. Heck, you look at the sales brochure and the paint work is flawless, and that is what your buying. And like I say, just don't accept the vehicle.

And never let any dealership give you a headache, just call General Motors Customer relations. These people work tirelessly at working on customers reaction and getting things done. A few years ago I bought a Chevy Monte Carlo, and it had the Z34 engine and was tied up in the shop for over a month trying to get to run right, the dealership wasn't getting things done so I call General motors customer relations, they got on it and the car was fixed in 1 week. And there was some things done that was under warranty, GM paid for the whole job. the 21st century General motors is a totally different company now. And here in SE Pennsylvania, Chevrolet has closed 3 dealerships that were problem dealerships. As a Dealership, you work for General motors or you don't sell Chevys, Period. They get one too many complaints, they'll send a compliance person down to see what the problems are. General Motors is a global company and they are going head to head in the fight for customers. Japanese, European or South Korean anybody they want your business and they'll do what it takes to keep you. I take my Corvette to a family owned dealership about 40 miles from here. The last time I had my 2007 Pontiac in for oil change and state inspection. $132.00 and I was on the way home and I noticed that my car had new windshield wipers. I looked at my invoice and they didn't charge me one cent for the new set of wiper. That kind of treatment is what and why I drive the 40 miles back and forth for their service work. give them a chance to fill your expectations, you'll see. I know where I'm buying my next Silverado from.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

When I bought my truck the dealership (Very bad dealership I will add)had a black 2012 Convertible Camaro in the showroom that the orange peel was soooo bad. If the dealership can not see this when they get the vehicle in then they shouldnt be selling new cars. If I owned this dealership I would not have accepted this into my inventory unless the cost was reduced for it to be redone profesionally.. Probably take the oppurtunity to do a custom color to it. But instead they seem to hope that it will not be noticed.. I will admit I didnt notice it in my truck when i bought it. But after painting my custom hood and seeing the difference after polishing I was none to impressed with the factory paint job.