GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 02 1500 ext cab 2wd inner tie rod issue

Hey all. I did the shake test and found tire moved when i apply effort at 3 and 9 position . I ordered the inner and outer tie rod for driver side and watched several youtube videos on how to replace both. When I jacked up truck and visualized parts, I found a boot over the inner tie rod end that was not in any video. I have swapped out outer tie rod which was easy enough and the old one was really easy to manipulate. But when I removed the boot and slid it down the rod, it revealed a round knuckle or joint that was pink or lavender in color and looked nothing like the new inner rod in my hand. Is that joint called a rack and pinion joint? How do I unscrew the old inner rod because there is nowhere to place a wrench on the factory rod to back it out. I double checked my new part with five other parts stores and it looks the same. I also had about 4 oz black oil run out of boot. Is the factory joint different or was that some kind of protective housing around the inner rod joint? As I said none of the gmc/silverado videos covered moving a boot and exposing a large knuckle with a smooth exterior. 02 silverado 2wd ext cab 5.3 112k

if you have 2wd then it has rack and pinion steering. Is the new inner tie rod you bought for a 2wd or 4wd truck. They are different. I am going to guess the the videos that you watched are for a 4wd truck. When I searched youtube that is what most of them were. There is a special tool to remove inner tie rods from a rack. you can borrow it for "free" (with a deposit) at most autopart stores. I have seen guys use a big adjustable wrench. But, then you can't get the proper torque spec on it.

here is a vid with the tool being used.

Last edited by Pikey; 02-25-2014 at 10:35 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)