GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Roads are Terrible!!! And getting worse!!

With the lowest temperatures in several years I have noticed the potholes and heaving from the frost of the roads is just terrible this year.. Digging holes in roads for my work I can tell you the frost(where its been plowed and not snow insulated)is at least 26 inches deep. It actually goes a bit deeper as things start to thaw.. Ive noticed the centerline of my local expressway has got several crevices and some large potholes that if your passing throws the vehicle around. Not good when the roads are a bit snowy..(Yeah I pass on snowy roads) How is the town,state, country going to afford all of this damage??? They put temporary cold patch which is very expensive to tempararily fill the hole then have to decide whether the street warrants a new surface when the weather permits.. There are not too many streets this year that look good after this winter IMO.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Roads are terrible here too in cortez, co. Sad because they usually do a good job with maintenance and upkeep, but they really dropped the ball these last few years.
    Chuckie!!!

Our roads and highways haven't started to thaw yet, I would guess our frost is down double your depth @the phantom; but, our city streets are starting to break up badly. We always have surface break ups, but I think this year will be worse than a lot of the previous winters.

Or city crew has a machine that uses the waste from streets that had their surfaces shaved during the previous summer. This machine heats the waste (and they may add some tar, I don't know) and they have an acceptable "hot patch". It will outlast the "cold patch" by many weeks.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

It's going to be a bad summer for roads all over the country.

To make matters worse most states get funds for road repair from gasoline tax by the gallon. Well, all vehicles get about 50% better mpg than they did 20 years ago. So more miles on the same gas tax revenue means more repairs for less money.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Or city crew has a machine that uses the waste from streets that had their surfaces shaved during the previous summer.
    Down here they take that milled/ground asphalt and deliver it right back to the plant to recycle into the new layer being put down.
    We do also have a 'hot' patch mix(some call it a chip seal) that they can put down that will last longer than the 'cold' mix, provided the hole is big enough.....
    2010 Silverado LT 1500 5.3L 4X4
    '95 BMW K1100LT
    '97 BMW K1100LT

Most of ours goes back to the plant as well, they keep a small amount for winter patches.

AT 3.45 a gallon, up from 3.09 two weeks ago, they seem to be saving for road repair already in oklahoma, not that they will do much beyond drop another cold patch here and there, I went to the comedy club in bricktown a few years back, one comedian said when he was on his way to the hotel from the airport, he knew he was in a golfing state, as there were 18 holes to every mile of road.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

I bent the front bumper on my Hino on Thur morn in Pa on a Pot hole so YES they are BAD!!!
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
    With the lowest temperatures in several years I have noticed the potholes and heaving from the frost of the roads is just terrible this year.. Digging holes in roads for my work I can tell you the frost(where its been plowed and not snow insulated)is at least 26 inches deep. It actually goes a bit deeper as things start to thaw.. Ive noticed the centerline of my local expressway has got several crevices and some large potholes that if your passing throws the vehicle around. Not good when the roads are a bit snowy..(Yeah I pass on snowy roads) How is the town,state, country going to afford all of this damage??? They put temporary cold patch which is very expensive to temporarily fill the hole then have to decide whether the street warrants a new surface when the weather permits.. There are not too many streets this year that look good after this winter IMO.
    during an escape to the warmer parts of the US where it never gets cold on my travels south , the worst road from here to southern Florida is the 87/287 hyway around NYC... very bad pot holes and heavy traffic,,,.massachusetts/new jersy TPK/Connecticut good.. Maryland did have some bad road....

south of maryland no road problems except lots of falling trees in south carolina for many miles falling on rt 95...

Quote Originally Posted by summitwhite11 View Post
    AT 3.45 a gallon, up from 3.09 two weeks ago, they seem to be saving for road repair already in oklahoma, not that they will do much beyond drop another cold patch here and there, I went to the comedy club in bricktown a few years back, one comedian said when he was on his way to the hotel from the airport, he knew he was in a golfing state, as there were 18 holes to every mile of road.
    roflmao! Sounds like Oklahoma alright! Love that joke! I'll be in Oklahoma March 9-15 so at least I know not much has changed

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by