GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Check engine oil level

Just changed the oil on my 01 5.3L tahoe and i believe i mightve added a little too much oil. Now the message box is showing the " check engine oil level" message. Oil pressure looks fine,truck runs as usual,its just having the yellow thing flasshing bugs the hell outta me. Any ideas on how to reset it or someway to fix the problem? Or should i just wait untill the engine starts burning some of the oil and gets rid of the issue? Thanks guys in advance,.
    CGC

I would drain a bit...Remove the filter and empty it. That may take out enough

1997 GMC

3. Thanks Karloz5.3L thanked for this post
    Likes Karloz5.3L liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    I would drain a bit...Remove the filter and empty it. That may take out enough
    I agree. How much is "a little extra" Too much oil can cause foaming which equals no protection. I had my truck at a quick oil change (1st and only time) and they over filled it by 1.5 quarts. I did not get a check oil level light though. it was a 2003 5.3L

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

5. Likes Karloz5.3L liked this post

Thanks for suggestion,i did go back and drained a bit,it mightv been about 3/4 of a quart bottle. Oil pressure shows good,oil dipstick went down just to whats recommended and. Couldnt be more relieved,i would hate to messup my baby. Crazy weather down in n.texas didnt let me gets my hands on it until yesterday..

After you drain it if it stays on I would try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayer3503 View Post
    After you drain it if it stays on I would try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.
    Ive heard that you can also disconnect the battery and touch the pos and neg terminal leads together which will disappate any voltage in the system allowing a reset. Not sure how well or if this works just something I heard.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper