GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1

    Default Transmission temperature

    Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole thing and I just need some help on figuring out the normal trans temp on my 2008 silverado 1500. I've noticed lately that it'll warm up to about 200F, is that normal? What happens if it gets even hotter? I bought it used about 8 months ago so I want to make sure my unicorn is always satisfied!
    Using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Jr. Engineer poncho62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hanover, Ont, Canada
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Right now (winter), it depends where you live. I take it you are in a warm climate. Here, it has been a cold winter, mine hasn't gotten above 125-150 all winter

    1997 GMC

  3. #3

    Default

    My '08 with 33's, 3k stall and tru kool 40k sits about 80 above ambient. If you are seeing 200 without ragging on the truck something is wrong.

    ________2013 4C Rated__________


  4. #4

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TDCulbyy763 View Post
    Where should I take it to be looked at?
    The tranny may just need a fluid change to fix the issue. As the fluid ages it loses efficiency causing more friction and more heat. Just replacing the fluid and filter may be enough to fix the issue.

    1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

    Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    Like said above the fluid and filter change might help, but deffently would not hurt. If you are running larger tires and you happen to have the factory 3.08 gear that might increase the temp as well.

  8. #8
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TDCulbyy763 View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole thing and I just need some help on figuring out the normal trans temp on my 2008 silverado 1500. I've noticed lately that it'll warm up to about 200F, is that normal? What happens if it gets even hotter? I bought it used about 8 months ago so I want to make sure my unicorn is always satisfied!
    the temp should not be 200 deg f. 160-180 deg f is normal operating in a normal load condition at legal speeds.... My guess is the transmission is slipping. also the filter maybe plugged and this with old fluid will cause low pressures that cause the slipping and then the extra heat.

    what is the engine temp ? should be 190 deg f ..............

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    the temp should not be 200 deg f. 160-180 deg f is normal operating in a normal load condition at legal speeds.... My guess is the transmission is slipping. also the filter maybe plugged and this with old fluid will cause low pressures that cause the slipping and then the extra heat.

    what is the engine temp ? should be 190 deg f ..............
    Okay, I'm due for new fluids for my truck so I'm guessing that is what's happening. But the engine temp sits around 190 to 200 F .. The trans isn't slipping though so I'm guessing it needs new fluids.

  10. #10
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TDCulbyy763 View Post
    Okay, I'm due for new fluids for my truck so I'm guessing that is what's happening. But the engine temp sits around 190 to 200 F .. The trans isn't slipping though so I'm guessing it needs new fluids.
    you cannot sense this slippage effect yet! If its slipping then you get the added higher temps.. As this continues it will then drop gears.

    this is a good tool [temp tranny ] to alert the operator that the transmission is in need of some work... hopefully you will just need some new dexronVI and a filter...

    engine temp should not be 200 or more deg f.

    I hope your where it is above 80 deg f air temp....because if it is 10 degf and you have 200 deg f tranny temp you could be in an expensive fix.
    Last edited by j cat; 02-24-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last Post byLast Post by

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •