GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Smile New To The Forum

Hi,
    I am a 71 year old lady who has loved GM cars since I was a teenager. I am a retired x-ray tech, living in Montana where Chevy trucks rule.
    I am on my fourth Chevy SUV, latest one being a 2007 Suburban XLT, all black inside and out. Absolutely love it. Its a keeper. I also have a 2003 Anniversary Corvette which is what I have yearned for since my early 20's.
    Since my Suburban is so spiffy, I would really like to get new wheels for it. I havent decided yet on which ones as I dont know what is available for that car. I kind of like the ones with black and chrome but very simple in design, nothing flashy. And I dont want to spend more than $1200 if possible.
    Another thing that has delayed getting wheels is, do the tire sensors have to be replaced, or can they be transferred? I live in a small town and so far, the guys I have talked to about it, dont really know much about that.
    So I was wondering if I could get some info on the above, about where to look online, and what would be the best deal, and of course, any info on the tire sensors would be helpful.
    Gazelle

You sound a lot like my mom, she has a 2008 HHR that she loves and enjoys modifying every chance she gets and she just recently aquired a 1974 Chevy truck that was originally purchased new by my dad in 74.

Wheels will be expensive, I recommend picking up a copy of "Truckin" magazine and look at the styles available, there's a few vendors in the magazine that have reasonable prices including shipping. Unless you have a larger auto parts store around (which would probably offer the best price without shipping) you'll most likely have to order and ship.
    As per the Chevy dealer the sensors arent reusable, I have seen a few get away with reusing them but they were intended to be mounted on one set of wheels and remain there. I've priced new sensors and they run between $425 and $600 depending on the supplier and make. Oddly as it sounds the dealer had the best price.
    You might try Googling "Truckin" I believe they have a website, they should have plenty of info on tires, wheels, and the tire sensors. They have atleast 1 article a month dealing with tires and wheels and they cater to trucks and SUV's.

God bless the Montana spirit! I've spent a lot of time in Northern Idaho (Sandpoint & Hope) and got into Montana a time or two. Even had the old suburban out that way quite a bit.

I agree, you can find a lot of options in the magazines and/or on the internet. Not sure what city you're near, but that will give you the option to get them ordered/installed w/o necessarily paying for shipping.

Thanks for signing up!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!
    Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

Welcome to the site
    Peter Smet
    Haasdonk, Belgium

Welcome to the site!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Hey thanks for the info. So in addition to the cost of the wheels, I would have to have new sensors. Not real crazy about that.
    Now I know why the sensors on the vette dont work either. When I bought it, I switched wheels from the older one I had which did work.
    Guess I will learn to like the stock wheels that came on it. Wish I could shine them up a little.

Like Zippy pointed out you could dress up the wheels you have.
    When the weather gets better I'll take pics of my wifes HHR wheels, we got the upgraded wheels but I wanted something different, after searching around I found I'd need to buy new sensors (the reason I know the price) to change wheels, a few weeks ago when I was rotating the tires for a road trip I pulled the wheels off and painted the backside with Satin Black then polished up the front a little better.
    With a little time and some painters tape I could've done some work on the front, but thats a project for the next tire rotation.
    During the trip I had a few people look at the wheels and ask if they were the stock wheels, even had one guy with the same exact wheels parked next to me trying to figure out why mine looked different (I told him I didnt know why it looked different, it came from the factory like that).

Greetings and salutations, gazell, you're most welcome.
    Sadily, your tire pressure sensors are a safety feature that's going to add to the price of changing to new wheels. If your wheels are like this:

Perhaps you could have the recesses painted black and get chrome lug nut covers for a different look. I had to get some body work done, so I asked the shop: As long as they were going to mix up some paint, cold I get my lug covers painted to match the body. The first reaction was: Did you get new wheels? Sorry, it won't work with your black 'Burb.
    Are we having fun, yet?

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I wonder if you could post a picture of your "painted wheels"? I would love to see what you did.
    Gazell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast