GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default painting my grill

What's the best way to go about this

what parts are you looking to paint on it? is it chrome now? Black? What year and model truck? I am sure that @TRPLXL2 can lead you down the right path. She has painted tons of things on her truck. I would take her advice if she gives it as she has learned the do's and don'ts of this.

I have moved this thread to the general tech sub forum to try to get more answers for you.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

i just painted my grill on a newly acquired '96 Chevy G30 van. it was an all plastic grill and head light bezels. it was pretty easy and simple. if you have all plastic parts wash well in kitchen detergent (i used Dawn) first and let them dry. then sand them lightly with 220 grit. if you have any chips or dings patch and sand them down (i used testor's contour putty). after they're all sanded and smooth blow the dust off (i used the wife's hair dryer) and wipe them down with denatured alcohol. i painted them with rustoleum "universal" paints. like krylon fusion it bonds to plastic, but it also has it own primer. the paint is very easy to spray but a can does not go a long way. i suggest you purchase double your estimate so you don't find yourself running back to the store. after the paint dried i applied several coats of rustoleum matte clear spray. test this stuff before you use it. i was not real happy with the results. i thought it would go on smoothly and just dull the sheen, but it went on very grainy. still all and all i am pleased with the outcome.
    ps: i used a satin black for the base coat & forged hammered black for the trim.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04005.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	57956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04006.jpg 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	57957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04007.jpg 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	57958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04008.jpg 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	57959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04009.jpg 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	57960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04010.jpg 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	57961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04011.jpg 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	57962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04012.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	57963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04013.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	57964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04014.jpg 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	57965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04015.jpg 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	57966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04021.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	57967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04022.jpg 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	57968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04023.jpg 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	57969Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04031.jpg 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	57970
    Last edited by popajones; 02-26-2014 at 11:32 AM.

4. Likes Enkeiavalanche liked this post
    Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

That Looks Sweet Nice job..... Are you looking for the Mono Look? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fallrun 032 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	58004
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Painting all the Chrome to match the body Color...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	florida truck pics 033.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	58005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	florida truck pics 030 (Custom).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	58006

ahhh no, but close maybe. i have an estimate from a local Line-X dealer to do the whole exterior in black bed liner for about 2/3's the cost of a quality paint job. a little more if i want to add color tint.