GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Need to test 4WD

My daughter is looking at buying her first 4x4. It is a 2003 S10 Quad cab. I am new to having a 4x4 myself. This truck is in southern KY and they have no snow on the ground right now, she wants me to go down with her Saturday and help check things out. I have a full size 03 Silverado and I can clearly hear a clicking sound of a switch when I engage and it is very obvious that it doesnt want to turn well on dry pavement when 4x4 is engaged. I am assuming that we will either be on gravel roads or dry pavement Saturday. Any advice on thourghly making sure the 4x4 is working properly would be much appreciated. Still learning. Thanks Mike.

Try to avoid driving on dry pavement in 4WD. It is quite bad for the differentials. Under no circumstances should you back up in 4WD on dry pavement. A vehicle as old as 2003 probably has the type of differential layout which will not slip enough to allow it, thus the rear suspension can "wind up", building damaging tension.

While in 4WD you should feel a bit more resistance in the steering wheel while turning slowly, and you might feel some torque steer while turning, especially while accelerating.

I am not sure how you might "test" the 4WD without climbing up something slippery. You might have someone observe whether or not the front tires seem to bite or kick some gravel under brisk acceleration. >> shrug<<. They need a smiley for shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Try to avoid driving on dry pavement in 4WD. It is quite bad for the differentials. Under no circumstances should you back up in 4WD on dry pavement. A vehicle as old as 2003 probably has the type of differential layout which will not slip enough to allow it, thus the rear suspension can "wind up", building damaging tension.

While in 4WD you should feel a bit more resistance in the steering wheel while turning slowly, and you might feel some torque steer while turning, especially while accelerating.

I am not sure how you might "test" the 4WD without climbing up something slippery. You might have someone observe whether or not the front tires seem to bite or kick some gravel under brisk acceleration. >> shrug<<. They need a smiley for shrug.
    here it is

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    here it is
    You learn something new every day, don't you?

Shift it into 4 low. You will definitely see a gear reduction if the four-wheel-drive is engaged. If it will go into 4 low, it will go into 4 Hi.
    I like all dogs I meet, and some people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardrail View Post
    You learn something new every day, don't you?

Shift it into 4 low. You will definitely see a gear reduction if the four-wheel-drive is engaged. If it will go into 4 low, it will go into 4 Hi.
    Doesnt mean the 4 wheel drive is working, just shows that the transfer case went into low range.......

You can usually tell that the front axles are getting power when turning...you will feel slight binding. If clunking, the CV joints may be bad.

1997 GMC

Jr. Apprentice

Maybe take some jacks and stands with you. Jack up all 4 wheels and put it into 4wd. That will at least verify the transfer case is turning everything, but you will still need a good road test.

Wags
    1992 Chevrolet S10 Blazer
    4.3L, TBI, 4x4