GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default Need to wire a horn button, 95 Silverado

Hello, all.

I need a Texas Inspection on the 95 Silverado but the horn has finally honked its last honk. I know the problem is in the steering column and have no intention of tearing into that. I need to wire up a separate button. Any hints?

Back in the 70's when we needed to do something like that we would just run a wire and wrap it around one end of the glass fuse in the fusebox to get power. I know that won't work now. I don't mind running a fused line off the battery temporarily; but I don't want it to be permanent.

Any hints? Experience?

Thanks,
    Maury
    95 Chevy Silverado
    Beat up by hail and a faulty tow truck
    5.7L V-8
    251,000 miles

I have seen guys wrap a wire around the leg of a fuse and push it back in to get power temporarily. It is not the correct way to do it, but it does work.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

thanks for the feedback. That would certainly be easier than a longer run to the battery and a separate fuse.

Now, if anyone out there has done a horn button replacement from the steering column and just 'happens' to know what color the wires are for the horn coming out of the steering column that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by MauryFrench View Post
    thanks for the feedback. That would certainly be easier than a longer run to the battery and a separate fuse.

Now, if anyone out there has done a horn button replacement from the steering column and just 'happens' to know what color the wires are for the horn coming out of the steering column that might help.
    I happen to have the GM service manual and GM driveability, emissions, and electrical diagnosis manual for the 1995 C/K trucks. Here is a pic of the horn schematic. if you can't see it PM me your email address and I can send you the jpg file. that way you can zoom in on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1890.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	58028

- - - Updated - - -

Attachment 58029Attachment 58030Attachment 58031

Jr. Mechanic

I can see that just fine sir. You have made my weekend much easier. Thanks.