GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 1966 chevy truck build thread "Project two tone"

Been a member here awhile and enjoying it. Starting a build thread now. I have a lot to catch up on. lol. Hope you enjoy. Here is some history on the truck. It was bought in 66 brand new and used as a farm truck all of its life. The original stepside bed was removed and replaced with a home made flatbed. The truck was used to haul wood, scrap iron and misc. A buddy a mine found it in the guys yard down in a mud pit and was basically able to get it for free...so they worked on getting it started(don't know how long it sat) and after some cranking the ol gal fired off. It took two tractor I believe to tow her out of that pit. But to my surprised one day my buddy showed up in my driveway with it on a trailer and said I could have it(never kick a gift horse in the mouth!) and of course I took it and parked it...where it sat in the field for 5 years before I finally got to it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it when I got it....but here is the closest one I could get...this is 1 year after starting the resto...enjoy. Tons more pictures to come!

- - - Updated - - -

And here it is now....I've been doing some priming and some engine work. The engine now has a much better HEI and runs way better then ever. I also have added a sidestep tool box that I made. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	58021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	033.jpg 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	58022Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.jpg 
ID:	58023Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	58024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	58025

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently something got screwed up. lol the older pictures are on the bottom and newer ones on top.

- - - Updated - - -

Something got screwed up. lol Apparently the newer pictures are on top instead of the bottom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg   007.jpg   002.jpg   001.jpg  
    Excuse the rust..I USE my truck.

"No matter how beat up or rusty a chevy is, no truck will ever look as good goin down the road wearin that bowtie!"

I painted the rear frame and also bought a new fuel tank. And here are some pictures of the sidestep tool box I made.

- - - Updated - - -

And here are just some more pictures...I make her quite useful in the fields. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 023.jpg   001.jpg  

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Not too bad for the price. Looks pretty nice. (I'd get that Positive battery cable clamped down so it doesn't get the plastic jacket cut and short out on you. But it sure looks like a good ol truck to me. That is a very good year of Chevy !

4. Thanks 66 chevyman thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    Not too bad for the price. Looks pretty nice. (I'd get that Positive battery cable clamped down so it doesn't get the plastic jacket cut and short out on you. But it sure looks like a good ol truck to me. That is a very good year of Chevy !
    Thanks! Yeah its a fun truck! That battery cable has been on my mind. It actually has been that way since the factory. lol Thanks for posting.

Here's some update pictures and a new video! I installed mini fins on the hood. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	022.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	58648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	020.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	58649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	021.jpg 
Views:	30 
ID:	58650

Installed a 1956 Bel Air hood ornament on the truck!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg   001.jpg   005.jpg  

Took the ol chevy for a drive...Here's a vid of us revin the snot outta the ol 6!

Fix those wipers and stop bolting chrome on that classic truck, although I admit there is a certain grace in that hood ornament. The engine looks very nice, it works and looks like someone cares for it. Since the body is a little rough, you could experiment with some dent and crease removal and flat black primer the whole truck just to make her feel better. Get that sandpaper and a rattle can out and have some fun. If the floors haven't rusted out or the rockers, rustproof them now.

LOL! Hey I like my chrome! Painting is on its way..the cab is rusted out in plenty of areas though, but I have a donor cab if I want to use it...engine is old and has suffered much abuse through the years, but is plenty pampered now. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006.jpg  

You still have a nice year truck that's basically straight. There are rocker panels and lots of other stuff sold for those models fairly cheap. I have a MIG welder and have patched my '85 and slapped some bondo on the cab corners, welded patches in the doors. There's nothing like the sound of a 6 banger with duals.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by