GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Repaint

Default Repaint

I have a 1994 chevy suburban silverado and currently its white but the paint is coming off an dyou can see the galvanized steel body i want to paint it a hunter green to go with the tan trim what would be the best way to repaint this so that the paint stays on and does not peel off like the original paint has? any suggestions would be appreciated. the truck can be seen in my garage. also what modifications should i add to make this my bug out vehicle if the SHTF?

Make sure you use a clear coat after you do the base paint. All the white trucks from the late 90's didn't have a clear coat so the paint peels off. My truck has a similar issue not at extreme but the hood and fenders are a mess. As long as you get a solid base coat and then clear coat it there shouldn't be an issue.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Thanks I just really dont get why they did that but i will be sure to clear coat it.

Quote Originally Posted by tryst7308 View Post
    Thanks I just really dont get why they did that but i will be sure to clear coat it.
    Think about it. If you're a huge company and you make say 100,000+ white trucks which have paint that on its own is shiny and smooth why spend potentially another $500 per truck to do a clear coat. It saves over 50 million dollars. It was all about cost saving.

Surface prep and a good primer is a must have.
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Wrap it.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PART_1393640201336.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	58039 This Audi R8 w-10 was Black then back to Silver now is going white and we did the Red inside and did the wheels..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X