GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hard Water Spots??

I have a 2014 black Silverado and I have recently noticed these really bad spots that appear to be hard water spots. Washing the truck does not help and I have tried a water/vinegar solution, which does not help either. I am really worried it has gotten into the clear coat. Please shed some light on my problem and what I should try. The spots are smooth for the most part. I have attached a picture of the spots. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waterspots.jpg  

Those generally come from a wash without a water softener, and well water with minerals, you really dont want those to set in, ruins the paint,chrome, and glass, I had a well and washing my harley in illusion blue left spots, to combat I would always rinse with two gallons of distilled water using a garden sprayer, and a lawn blower to blow dry, saved the paint and chrome. you can find a couple of products at the link I will leave to get rid of the water spots, and some info on prevention. The spots you see are calcium and magnesium. the best solution is dry your truck after each washing if you dont have a spot free rinse.
    http://www.autogeek.net/exterior.html
    Life is short compared to history

Rick (summitwhite11)

Ok thanks about what I expected and they have been there a few days. I'm planning on finding something first thing tomorrow that will work and thoroughly cleaning the entire truck. What about a clay bar or clay compound?

Have it clayed and try some polishing compound. If that doesn't work it may need some wet sanding and after polishing.

Try wiping it down with prepsol...
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Just to add it also depends on the degree of damage in the paint it self. If wet sanding does remove the stain, you have no choice but to have it repainted.