GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Transmission problems

I brought my 2011 Silverado LT 5.3 6spd auto in for a 30k maintenance today.
    Its at 33k so Im a little overdue but I was waiting for oil change time and Ive been having a surging issue with the trans once in a while when slowing down that I wanted the dealer to look at.
    I did the intake cleaning when I swapped in a new intake last month so the only services I needed were oil change, coolant flush, and trans flush.
    The coolant flush and oil change were completed with no problems.
    When they got to the trans flush the tech dropped the pan and found internal transmission parts laying in the pan, 2 short bolts, 1 nut, 3 washers, and some unidentifiable broken metal chunks, along with a palm full of metal shavings.
    The scarey part was other than the surging issue once in a while I had no noise or other trans issues.
    Fortunately before the service advisor managed to talk to me he had determined they would cover it under warranty and he located a replacement trans.
    I should have my truck back Monday afternoon with a new replacement GM trans.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    I brought my 2011 Silverado LT 5.3 6spd auto in for a 30k maintenance today.
    Its at 33k so Im a little overdue but I was waiting for oil change time and Ive been having a surging issue with the trans once in a while when slowing down that I wanted the dealer to look at.
    I did the intake cleaning when I swapped in a new intake last month so the only services I needed were oil change, coolant flush, and trans flush.
    The coolant flush and oil change were completed with no problems.
    When they got to the trans flush the tech dropped the pan and found internal transmission parts laying in the pan, 2 short bolts, 1 nut, 3 washers, and some unidentifiable broken metal chunks, along with a palm full of metal shavings.
    The scarey part was other than the surging issue once in a while I had no noise or other trans issues.
    Fortunately before the service advisor managed to talk to me he had determined they would cover it under warranty and he located a replacement trans.
    I should have my truck back Monday afternoon with a new replacement GM trans.
    many have had bad results with GM re-built transmissions. they reported that GM contracts out to the lowest bidder to re-build these. GM employees do not re-build these. make sure you get an extended warranty. after a few thousand miles drop pan and inspect.

I've heard that before.
    Which was why I started raising a fuss as soon as I learned I had problems, I brought my concerns to the service manager last night and he assured me they were installing a factory new replacement.
    The service manager and dealership general manager are both friends of mine, I sold both of them custom Harleys within the last year and we all ride together often so I believe their being straight with me.

Legend

I've heard that before.
    Which was why I started raising a fuss as soon as I learned I had problems, I brought my concerns to the service manager last night and he assured me they were installing a factory new replacement.
    The service manager and dealership general manager are both friends of mine, I sold both of them custom Harleys within the last year and we all ride together often so I believe their being straight with me.
    kind of surprised with your failure. good luck with the install.

5. Likes zuki82 liked this post

Thanks, Im definately gonna be keeping an eye on the new trans.
    One of the bolts wasnt short, it was sheared off at about a 1/2", the other bolt was about 3/4" long, we also found black plastic bits in the shavings.
    Dont know where the fasteners came from, and short of a full teardown wont ever know but I suspect they bounced around a little before hitting the pan, all of them had scars.

One of the bolts wasnt short, it was sheared off at about a 1/2", the other bolt was about 3/4" long, we also found black plastic bits in the shavings.
    Dont know where the fasteners came from, and short of a full teardown wont ever know but I suspect they bounced around a little before hitting the pan, all of them had scars.
    Wow Tim....having these items in the Trans.Pan!!....that's unreal..........Its Nice to hear your having a New Factory Replacement being Installed.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

Don'tknow where the fasteners came from, and short of a full teardown wont ever know but I suspect they bounced around a little before hitting the pan, all of them had scars.
    when my 2000 silverado had 20,000 miles on it I did the fluid filter change. the pan did have some sludge on the bottom and the filter was clean . I did put a big magnet on the exterior of the pan to hold these particles and it worked as I expected. then I removed all the dexron III and installed mobil synthetic GM transmission fluid. when I droped the pan at 50K the pan had much less debris. then at 90K the pan had even less. each time I did torque down the bolts ..

your transmission issues are probably due to defective hardware. where I was working we got some Chinese bolts that were too brittle ,and the broke off at the heads. then the company quickly returned to the OEM spec bolts...these bolts where wheel bolts !

Thats what im thinking too j cat, I think they bounced around some and took out other pieces along the way.
    I had a magnet on the pan and thats where the concentration of scrap metal was. Gotta remember to get the magnet back and put it on the new trans.
    Still mystified that the only outward sign was surging on the down shift, the tech thinks that was from the shavings blocking things up, so whats loose without its hold down fasteners and washers?

Truck was ready late Saturday afternoon but I was to busy to pick it up, ill take her on a thorough test drive and inspection on a lift Monday, not that I dont trust the dealerships work but something I learned as an Aircraft Quality Assurance Inspector "In God we trust, All others verify".

Legend

Thats what im thinking too j cat, I think they bounced around some and took out other pieces along the way.
    I had a magnet on the pan and thats where the concentration of scrap metal was. Gotta remember to get the magnet back and put it on the new trans.
    Still mystified that the only outward sign was surging on the down shift, the tech thinks that was from the shavings blocking things up, so whats loose without its hold down fasteners and washers?

Truck was ready late Saturday afternoon but I was to busy to pick it up, ill take her on a thorough test drive and inspection on a lift Monday, not that I dont trust the dealerships work but something I learned as an Aircraft Quality Assurance Inspector "In God we trust, All others verify".
    you have to double check their work . too many times I have found these repair tech's forgetting to properly do the job...just recently my family member brought vehicle to the toyota dealership to have a simple oil change which included topping off all the fluids. how can you screw that up ?? well they did. so I had to go to the dealership and ask questions. then they fixed all the screw ups and gave a free oil change next time. manager was very apologetic... regular customer ....

Sometimes doing simple mundane jobs mechanics/grease monkeys forget the obvious. I used to work for Boeing and each job especially the mundane ones required a check list and inspection. And an inspector inspecting the inspector. And the FAA inspecting them............ You get the point

2008 Purple LTZ Crew Cab

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by