GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 18 to buy a knife?

Did I miss a new law, Federal or Texas?

I just bought a Gerber multi-tool from Sports Authority and the cashier asked for my DOB to verify that I was 18+. Then, I had to hit "OK" on the little card swiper next to the register confirming my DOB and sign it. WTF?

However, all the cashier did was ask for my DOB and not an ID so maybe it was just store policy?

Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Hmmm, not sure. We live in New Mexico and I've bought my fair share of knives and haven't had to verify DOB. Of course, I'm near 40 so maybe they don't need to card me However, my son did stop at a gas station once and bought one of those little $10 cheapo knives they tend to sell and she asked if he was 18 and he answered yes (did not show ID) and off he went with his new knife...

I'm 31 and I don't think I look anywhere near 18 or younger. I have purchased plenty of knives myself and this is the first time I have been asked about my age in relation to said knife. It just struck me as really odd.

That doesn't surprise me. The way society is today, you need DOB check to purchase spray paint and i think there was another item that I bought recently that i needed my DOB for. Can't recall what it was, just remember thinking now this too. Likely a store policy more than an actual law on the books. Only gonna get worse I think. Protecting us from ourselves I guess.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Quote Originally Posted by McClintoc View Post
    I just bought a Gerber multi-tool from Sports Authority
    Just to slightly change the subject, what was the price of the multi-tool? I've been looking at them in our Home Depot.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by BRB46 View Post
    That doesn't surprise me. The way society is today, you need DOB check to purchase spray paint and i think there was another item that I bought recently that i needed my DOB for. Can't recall what it was, just remember thinking now this too. Likely a store policy more than an actual law on the books. Only gonna get worse I think. Protecting us from ourselves I guess.
    Yeah the paint, computer spray, and things like this are being abused or inhaled by teenagers to get high. And Im not going to limit it to teenagers either.. I know a father (that I grew up with)that just lost a 21 year old son from perscription pills and inhaling computer cleaner air. worst part is the father is inhaling the same crap and he has gone down hill himself... Its a shame..
    There are certain types of knives that are illegal in some states.. like switch-blades and certain chineese throwing knives and stars... I would imagine stores dont want to be responisible for selling the knife to a young delusional teenager that takes it on the school bus and slices someone up..Kind of defeats the purpose if there is a law to selling under 18 to just ask a DOB without picture ID.. I think in order to sell the knife the register requires a date to be entered that would be older than 18 years to allow the sale to continue..I would bet the law requires the cashier to see picture ID if there is any doubt of age also.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Just to slightly change the subject, what was the price of the multi-tool? I've been looking at them in our Home Depot.
    It was $40 but there were only two to choose from - a $40 multi-tool and a $50 multi-tool, both Gerber.

I usually shop at Academy Sports & Outdoors (they are headquartered in the Houston area and really big in the South and Southeast) but the closest one to me is about 30 minutes away. Sports Authority is only 10 minutes from me which why I went there this time. Sports Authority's knife selection is very lacking. Academy has tons of knives - they have a whole aisle, about 50ft worth. At Sports Authority, they had this single little kiosk which was about the same height and width as person; not many options to choose from but I like the one I got.

Master Mechanic

I know its been that way for about 9 years here in PA.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I've been in Sports Authority, but I don't think they are in Canada. Just walked passed the display in Home Depot, I think the HD price was $50. It looks like a nice tool.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    I've been in Sports Authority, but I don't think they are in Canada. Just walked passed the display in Home Depot, I think the HD price was $50. It looks like a nice tool.
    Yeah, they are compact and sturdy. I keep one in my brief case, one in my golf bag and now one in my truck. Never know when you might need some pliers or a screw driver but can't always lug around a whole tool box.