GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Apprentice

Default Speedometer going crazy?!

Saturday I started having problems with my speedo as it said I was going about 55 mph when I knew I wasn't going over 40 mph. Then I stop at a redlight to notice it never dropped below 15 mph or so. I continue to drive and it tells me im doing 95!!! when I know for sure I wasn't even close to 70.... Well yesterday it seemed to do fine, but then today it started going nuts again. Same story, but now it is stuck of 56 mph and won't move!!

To top it off, the light behind my left "hot/cold" control went out today!!!!

What the hell is going on???

When i was looking for a truck, i drove one that was all over the place. I pulled out of the lot, test driving it, and it shot from 30 to 90. and then as i accelerated, it bounced from 20 to 80 and it kept going back and forth. It was weird.

I have alot of lights out on my radio buttons and a couple on the steering wheel. I'm not sure how to get to some of the button's lights.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Legend

as far as the HVAC light the dealership can special order the lights and do it, mine went out, was gonna do it but.......Most likely you need a new instrument cluster, about 350 installed at the dealership(thats what mine was) which is where it has to be done if you want the correct odometer reading
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Apprentice

I wasn't really wanting to spend 350 on an instrument panel but I guess I may have to. I mean the truck doesn't even have 47,000 miles yet

i know my truck had a recall on the instrument panel
    2004 chevy silverado "northwest edition" lifted on 35's

1990 cherokee lifted on 32's

Jr. Apprentice

I talked to the stealership over the phone today. They want $90 to do a diagnosis. And they tell me the recall for the instrument cluster if for the 03 and 04s only..... What do you know, I have an 05!!! So I'm probably looking at at least $400 by the time I'm done with this. Good news is they will fix my steering column for free

Legend

My dealership told me the same thing about the diagnostic but them since it was the instrument panel and i had it replaced right away they waved the fee, I love small town dealers!!!

kinda weird that the lights are already going out on the 05. heres an idea. i had the same thing happen to me, only i was not the cause of the light going out! we wont go into details, but we can just say that i like to take things apart and mod them!

so, durring my "moding" i blew out the whole climate control. the dealer said $300. so i went on ebay and got the whole cluster for $15 and changed it out myself. its really easy to change on those trucks. just unplug the old one and plug in the new one. works great now!

i know that your cluster works fine, its just the light, but for the price difference, i would do something like i did. just make sure that the seller on ebay has some kind of warranty, or at least offers returns. good luck!

Cody- Tulsa, OK
    '04 silverado