GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Question Cold weather and Batteries ? What and where do I start the search ?

I need to replace my 1990 Chevy C1500 and it's a 5.0 liter 305 ci engine. I couldn't find any information in the owners manual as a what battery that came with the truck new except that it was a "Freedom" type battery. I wanted to replace the current battery with one slightly stronger just to get pass the resistance in the wiring. Any where that I can do this ?

@JTWard, the standard battery group for the GM fullsize trucks is a 34, or a 78 (sometimes called a 34/78). The group designation encompasses the physical sizes and the pos/neg terminal locations.

There are a number of different amp hr and cold cranking sizes available for that grouping.

Here is a start: http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/tools...oup-sizes.html
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

3. Thanks JTWard thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by JTWard View Post
    I need to replace my 1990 Chevy C1500 and it's a 5.0 liter 305 ci engine. I couldn't find any information in the owners manual as a what battery that came with the truck new except that it was a "Freedom" type battery. I wanted to replace the current battery with one slightly stronger just to get pass the resistance in the wiring. Any where that I can do this ?
    If you have the stock battery cables you need a group 78 battery; you can use a combined group 34/78 battery that will also have top terminals but in general these tend to be of poorer quality. As to brand etc it all depends on what's available locally for you. I sometimes get batteries at the big-box retail stores, walmart, costco, menards, etc but they do not always have what I need -- none of them are really in the battery business and they just have a display that is refilled by a vendor who comes every week or so.

The stock battery is more than sufficient especially for a 5.0.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

I live just south of Philadelphia, small community that sits on the Delaware River.

Well , I don't want to have top posts, they just double the chance of shorting out on my truck, Maybe a Delco battery with 700? CCA and a reserve of 95 ? Does that sound like my best choice, or do other manufactures make a side mount only battery as well ????

almost every company makes side mounts. Autozone or any parts store will carry them. If you are buying one from a big parts store I recommend autozones battery, they are made by the same company that make diehard. Deka batteries and interstate are also good in my opinion. I would not buy another advanceautoparts battery.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Question

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0408.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	58102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0185.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	58103 Yeah, Thank you. Interstate is a good battery, and they make a "Megatrom" Plus 75. They list it as being made to fit my Silverado and for a 305 V8 and it doesn't have any top posts. Cost is around $130.00 but any of the decent batteries are in the same ballpark ?
    Last edited by JTWard; 03-04-2014 at 03:29 PM.

Ok, who are we now? Hmmmmmmm

I'll get it in a min, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm