GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting Season

i hear you... i usually give my doe tags to my pops if he even wants to use them...plus doe tags are very hard to get now..

and here in NewyorkState big bucks are not to common..a nice 6 or 8 theres only 1 or 2 around a season...
    there are, but rare, big like 10 and at least once a year we hear of a 12or so getting shot..
    08 5.3 silverado...toyo m.t 33 12.50 18 rockstars...leveled with 2" blocks...cherrybomb catback...6k hids

I've had buck fever for like 2 months now! Ever since my mom told me about the big 12 and 8 points that she has seen on the ranch a couple times. I didn't kill one last year because I let my fiancee take her first buck. I'm not sure when I'll be able to make it out there to hunt since it's about a 7-8 hour drive from here. It might be around Christmas time before I can get out there, but I hope not!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Here's some more pics from my game camera that I pulled off this past weekend.

Looks like the bucks have finally lost their velvet.

Don't quite know what to think about this one:

Here's a few does and fawns having a snack.
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Deer is pretty good meat, not bad

ive only been bird hunting a few times and i plan on gettin myself a shotgun over the winter. my brother has been gettin into bow hunting out in PA where he goes to school but down here in south jersey i have no clue where i would go. nice lookin deer tho take one for us!!
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

I have four shotguns and a .22. I've never been deer hunting and i'm about reaady for a new gun. All of my 5 are either my dads' or grandpa's. That and it's hard to find shells for 16 ga shotguns. I have one 20 ga. It's a semi-auto. The rest of em are double barrel. I'm looking at getting a rifle. Any suggestions?
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenterGuy View Post
    I have four shotguns and a .22. I've never been deer hunting and i'm about reaady for a new gun. All of my 5 are either my dads' or grandpa's. That and it's hard to find shells for 16 ga shotguns. I have one 20 ga. It's a semi-auto. The rest of em are double barrel. I'm looking at getting a rifle. Any suggestions?
    Lots to take into account with getting a new rifle (what you will use it for, availability/cost of ammo, budget, etc.) My deer rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06. My dad reloads our ammo, which is nice If you're looking for a deer rifle, the smallest you would probably want to go would be a .243 (what my mom shoots), and I wouldn't see the need in going any bigger than a 7mm mag. Lots of calibers in between to choose from (some more popular than others). My suggestion would be to start looking online and see what you like.
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

Quote Originally Posted by MWright936 View Post
    Lots to take into account with getting a new rifle (what you will use it for, availability/cost of ammo, budget, etc.) My deer rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06. My dad reloads our ammo, which is nice If you're looking for a deer rifle, the smallest you would probably want to go would be a .243 (what my mom shoots), and I wouldn't see the need in going any bigger than a 7mm mag. Lots of calibers in between to choose from (some more popular than others). My suggestion would be to start looking online and see what you like.
    I've been looking and I'm not sure if i want a 30-30 or a 30-06. I'm even considering a 12 ga. and using maybe buck shot for deer. Or slugs? i've never used a slug.
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 97,000 - totaled, RIP
    2006 Silverado Z71 - 122,000 (K&N 77 Series CAI, PowerAid TBS, Magnaflow dual rear exit, 33x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ, Tuff Country Torsion Keys, Tuff Country Add-A-Leafs)
    1966 C10 swb stepside (Gen I 350, Turbo 400 trans, dual cyl power brakes, front discs)
    I'll keep my money, guns, and freedom. You keep the Change.

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by CarpenterGuy View Post
    I've been looking and I'm not sure if i want a 30-30 or a 30-06. I'm even considering a 12 ga. and using maybe buck shot for deer. Or slugs? i've never used a slug.

i've used a .308 all my hunting life with great success. little kick, midrange power, and i've killed deer, elk, bear, everything with it, it does the trick

2009 silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71 4X4
    6in FabTech suspension lift
    35x13R18 nitto terra grapplers
    6k and risin

Previously owned vehicles-
    2007 silverado ext cab LT 4x4
    2001 silverado std cab 2wd
    1990 toyota pickup
    1989 Trans Am GTA
    1957 Chevy Pickup stepside

My father goes every year. except one year when he didn't get in for any state he picked. so he went pig hunting (did i mention we are still eating pork). He is counting the days. He loves it. He has a whole group. this year they are going to Utah. He has been to the shooting range twice to sight his guns and he has been packing. he is usually gone for two weeks.

The frist deer his every shot, is hanging above our fireplace. my mother was so happy when it fell in the earthquake, but we had it fixed so it is back up. We always put a santa hat on it around xmas time.
    STEPHANIE
    Los Angeles, California
    2004 Trailblazer (DJM drop kit, K&N air intake, 18' Kaotic Wheels, full system with Sirius and also custom
    sub installed for cleaner look, tint all the way around, JBA exhaust...still looking for more to do)

Had until it was stolen:
    1990 lowered Chevy Silverado
    Also Have:
    2002 Chevy Suburban
    1992 Chevy S-10
    1955 Chevy Bel Air
    sad to say: also a 1991 Ford F-250

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast