GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    Really, the desire to show off one's knowledge on this website is really getting old....
    Hey listen Bucko, I could walk away right now and you could pound sand for all I care.

You can take the info provided and do something constructive with it, or complain that people trying to help are just showing off.

I asked you "under what conditions are you using 4WD"...................that was to try and get an idea if you are abusing the drivetrain.

I do not think that two t-cases in 100 k miles is normal; therefore, as you didn't answer my question, I assume you must be driving around in 4WD when conditions do not warrant it. Therefore, I assume you have damaged the front diff by abusing it.

So, suck it up and buy a new one.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

2. Thanks z71roids thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    The t-case should not be sending power to the front driveshaft in 2wd. It should be completely disconnected from the rear wheels and engine torque when the t-case is in 2wd.

When the selector switch is moved to any of the 4wd positions, the shift motor engages the t-case to send power forward. When the selector is in 4HI, or 4LOW the power forward is equal to the power rearward. When the selector is in 4AUTO, the clutch pack is not fully engaged, there is some clutch slippage until wheel slippage is detected. In this position, a small percentage of the torque is sent forward, maybe 5%, but sufficient to turn the front driveshift.

On the AWD trucks (like Cads and Denalis) the front drive shaft is turned by both the t-case (read the 4AWD above) and by one front wheel. In an open diff, one axle is always connected to the diveshaft.

When the 4WD trucks are in 2WD, the open diff should flop to the passenger axle, which is not connected to the wheel, when this happens, the driveshaft will not turn because it is not being driven by the front wheel.

In my opinion, 109k miles should not wear out a t-case, let alone two.

To the OP, under what conditions are you using 4WD?
    I have had my truck on a hoist in gear and the front drive shaft spins. The case is always slightly engaged. This is with a "new" reman gm transfer case. I talked to my gear guy when I picked up my truck from having the front diff rebuilt yesterday. He said that the front drive shaft is always spinning. That is why when you have a bad carrier bearing in the front diff you can hear the hum while driving. the clutch packs are always engaged and is spring loaded to buffer any strain that may occur on the drivetrain.

- - - Updated - - -

I know that, but how does that address my question? 35 ft. lbs. is not enough to make it sound like the truck is coming apart. My question was, "what does '4x4 not working' mean?"

Really, the desire to show off one's knowledge on this website is really getting old....
    Really? telling someone that I read something somewhere is not "showing of knowledge" in my opinion. FYI, if you delete or edit a post after it has been quoted the quote still stays with your original post in it. But, hey I will continue to try to post useful information for members of this site. You can continue to do whatever you are doing. I tend to try to research things and use data to backup my advice, not fly by the seat of my pants. And yes, a spinning front driveshaft that has 1/16" of play because of a broken yoke strap will vibrate like crazy.
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-06-2014 at 12:20 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

4. Thanks z71roids thanked for this post
    Likes z71roids liked this post

In my opinion, 109k miles should not wear out a t-case, let alone two.

To the OP, under what conditions are you using 4WD?
    I very rarely use 4x4.. I may have used it two or three times in the last year... its not the transfer that is the problem its working fine now..

- - - Updated - - -

im not trying to be a hassle, not used to all this stuff in the newer models. Hell for all I know nowadays it could have been a bad wiring harness making it vibrate like crazy.. (just kidding) but yeah, just trying to get her up and going again good to have a second opinion in anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey listen Bucko, I could walk away right now and you could pound sand for all I care.

You can take the info provided and do something constructive with it, or complain that people trying to help are just showing off.

I asked you "under what conditions are you using 4WD"...................that was to try and get an idea if you are abusing the drivetrain.

I do not think that two t-cases in 100 k miles is normal; therefore, as you didn't answer my question, I assume you must be driving around in 4WD when conditions do not warrant it. Therefore, I assume you have damaged the front diff by abusing it.

So, suck it up and buy a new one.
    That wasn't me who said that... im not here to argue with anyone just looking for info, but like I said 4x4 was used maybe two or three times since may and only when needed.. If I don't need it I don't use it gas is too exspensive anyways.

AND in addition to everyone helping me, there is no unusual noise or anything.. Im going to go ahead and replace the straps and u joint tomorrow to see if that will do me any justice

just a heads up, if it is the front diff.. I am not trying to "show my knowledge" but I just got my truck back yesterday from the gear shop. $640 for a rebuild of the front diff. But, I have to say, if it is shaking that badly then whatever it is should be pretty obvious when you start poking around. any lateral play in a driveshaft is a bad thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by z71roids View Post
    I very rarely use 4x4.. I may have used it two or three times in the last year... its not the transfer that is the problem its working fine now..

- - - Updated - - -

im not trying to be a hassle, not used to all this stuff in the newer models. Hell for all I know nowadays it could have been a bad wiring harness making it vibrate like crazy.. (just kidding) but yeah, just trying to get her up and going again good to have a second opinion in anything.

- - - Updated - - -

That wasn't me who said that... im not here to argue with anyone just looking for info, but like I said 4x4 was used maybe two or three times since may and only when needed.. If I don't need it I don't use it gas is too exspensive anyways.

AND in addition to everyone helping me, there is no unusual noise or anything.. Im going to go ahead and replace the straps and u joint tomorrow to see if that will do me any justice
    I don't think @RayVoy was referring to you. he was referring to the other poster who made a negative comment because I posted a spec.

Yeah I haven't had any time to poke around and check due to rain and snow but as soon as it drys up a little ill see if I can locate the problem, if now ill bring it to my cousins shop and put it on the lift to see whats going on. Thanks for the help pikey.

Quote Originally Posted by z71roids View Post
    - - Updated - - -

That wasn't me who said that.
    Sorry, I did think it was you and I reacted. I didn't realize it wasn't you until I checked in this morning.

Good luck on the planned repairs.

Legend

I know that, but how does that address my question? 35 ft. lbs. is not enough to make it sound like the truck is coming apart. My question was, "what does '4x4 not working' mean?"

the forum member did say 4X4 not working after he just had this repaired...that is not very clear what all that means. I would bring the vehicle back to the person who screwed up this repair. If it was just fixed now and no 4X4 , and a harsh vib something was not put back correctly..

forums like these are not a substitute for a shop manual to properly repair these issues and the less a person knows about auto repair the less these forums can help with complex repairs like the 4 WD drive train components.

the forum here does have much good info and help to direct confused owners with repair procedures , tools required to complete repairs or just figure out if the repair shop screwed them..

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I believe that he rebuilt the T-case himself.
    so with this being done by him and if he did not use an OEM shop manual for his vehicle , to properly repair the T-case I can believe that this is not working properly.

if he does use the manual after a few try's he will be an expert on this .