GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Bilstein 5100 Question

I've been doing some research on different ways to level my truck off and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight about the Bilstein 5100 series adjustable shocks.

I currently have a BDS 4" lift and I sit about 1.5" low in the front. I would like to have it sit level so I can go with a little bit wider of a wheel when the time comes. I know that the BDS kit came with different front shocks but I cannot for the life of me remember if they were any longer than the stock ones.

If this would work I would also upgrade me rears.

Part number 24-186940 (front)
    Part number 24-186636 (rear for 4" of lift height)

Could it really be this simple??

Thanks guys.

I would contact BDS frirst. I am pretty sure the 6" kit is just the 4" kit stretched so you can see what they use.

But yes, the 5100's are great riding and very simple way to level the front. I loved the ride mine had with 5100's.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    I would contact BDS frirst. I am pretty sure the 6" kit is just the 4" kit stretched so you can see what they use.

But yes, the 5100's are great riding and very simple way to level the front. I loved the ride mine had with 5100's.
    Thank you for reminding me that I contacted BDS last year regarding a similar question! At that point I wanted to upgrade to a full 6" lift and I asked what I would need from BDS to make this happen, here's what they told me, maybe you can help translate a little. At this point I am not interested in doing the full upgrade, I just want to sit level.

He first told me about the 6" front strut replacement, the add a leaf, and presumably the 5.5" lift block (looked this up on BDS' website). He did mention that I could add a zone leveling kit, but I wasn't wild about that idea. I saw a truck on GMFS with a rancho 4" lift and he added a leveling kit similar to the zone and his CV angles were really steep.

I asked a question about the difference in ride quality with adding a leveling kit (because I didn't want him to think I was questioning him), and he responded with:

I was confused here because I also asked about if I would need longer shocks in the front (because my 4" kit came with shocks) -- I don't know if he is actually talking about the front strut replacement itself or the strut assembly meaning shock.

If he just means the shock then it appears that the bilstein adjustables would work, right?

So because I still was a little confused so I just asked if he could provide me with a part list, and he provided me with this

I'm assuming he gave me the rear leaf spring option because I had inquired about ride quality. There was no mention of longer front shocks in this parts list. All I want to do is add the bilsteins in the front, level the thing off and be done with it haha. I cannot really see if any of those emails answer my question though…what do you think?

BDS achieves their 6" hight up front by the 4" kit and their struts (this would be the same as doing the 5100's) If you are happy with the rear height you have 3 options but really 2 of the options are one in the same. 1) get a 1.5-2" strut spacer to level out. 2) get the longer struts from BDS...this will achieve the hight by the purch being set up height on the strut. 3) 5100's and you have .5" - 1.77" of lift to choose from.

The struts might make the ride a bit better over the strut spacers just because you are riding on new struts/shocks. All three will result in the same outcome more or less.

By the way I have the Rancho 4" with a lower spacer and still have flat angles. My LCA's were dropped 5.5" with the kit and still have plenty of up and down travel on my UCA's.

BDS achieves their 6" hight up front by the 4" kit and their struts (this would be the same as doing the 5100's) If you are happy with the rear height you have 3 options but really 2 of the options are one in the same. 1) get a 1.5-2" strut spacer to level out. 2) get the longer struts from BDS...this will achieve the hight by the purch being set up height on the strut. 3) 5100's and you have .5" - 1.77" of lift to choose from.

The struts might make the ride a bit better over the strut spacers just because you are riding on new struts/shocks. All three will result in the same outcome more or less.

By the way I have the Rancho 4" with a lower spacer and still have flat angles. My LCA's were dropped 5.5" with the kit and still have plenty of up and down travel on my UCA's.
    Awesome, I think I will go for the bilsteins as I had originally had planned. I am not 2" low in the front so being able to adjust sounds like it is the best option. Thanks for the help.

I love the Rancho kit, in fact I almost went with it for mine -- I just liked the warranty BDS offered and had a local hook up on one.

Here's the thread to that truck I was talking about:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243692

Yeah that guy is an idiot. Top Gunz 2" usually nets closer to 2.5" of lift and thats why it is bunched up so bad. Even if you run the 5100's at 1.77 it should not be too bad.

Yeah that guy is an idiot. Top Gunz 2" usually nets closer to 2.5" of lift and thats why it is bunched up so bad. Even if you run the 5100's at 1.77 it should not be too bad.
    Lol, yeah that is definitely not what I'm after. I'll play around with it….I'll try to give updates as I go along. Thanks again man.

I look forward to the pics!

I look forward to the pics!
    Right after I handle my gear situation, I certainly will move onto the suspension and of course, pics included! Thanks again for the help.