GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default new here need help with trailer brakes

hey guys i dont even know if this is the right section to do this in lol i am having trailer brake problems i can manually set them but when just braking with the peddle it does not work i have constant power but not power when peddle is pressed im lost an out of ideas

Welcome to the club!!! Im no expert but it sounds like the wire that comes from the brake light is not getting power to the brake box...(Im assuming this is an aftermarket brake box and not a factory built in box) You might try and look up what color wire on the box is for the brake light and wire one in. If you dont have the manual maybe try a google search for the model you have.. Electronic brakes on trailers and the wiring can sometimes be a nightmare... Hope you figure it out.. good luck..

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Hi dirtymax

What year/model of truck? What kind of brake controller do you have?
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    Hi dirtymax

What year/model of truck? What kind of brake controller do you have?
    Thats what I would ask too....Some vehicles require a feed from a different wire than the brake light switch. My wifes Chevy van has to have it from a certain white wire coming from computer as an example

1997 GMC

The '07 and newer trucks have a wire near the underhood fuse box that needs to be connected to a fused stud that is part of the fuse box.

Truck info is needed.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)