GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Ultimate Penetrating oil?

I stopped by a friends garage the other day because I wanted to do a crank relearn on my truck. He wanted a case of cheap beer and a pack of smokes to do it, the dealer wanted $150. While I was there I came across article from popular mechanics magazine about a test where they tried different penetrating oils. Here is what the results said

Oil used - Average torque load to loosen

No oil 516 ft/lbs
    wd-40 238 ft/lbs
    PB Blaster 214 ft/lbs
    Liquid Wrench 127 ft/lbs
    Kano Kroil 106 ft/lbs
    ATF-Acetone mix 53 ft/lbs

The ATF-Acetone mix ranked the best on lab corroded bolts and nuts. They mix it 1:1. I asked the owner of the shop about it. He laughed and said, "Oh yea, we call it Fall Off"
    he had it in a atf bottle with a small tip on it. He said the only thing is that you need to make sure that you put a cover on the tip or the acetone will evaporate. I will be trying this soon. Obviously, you need to keep it away from plastic and rubber parts.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

2. Thanks RayVoy, the phantom thanked for this post
    Likes the phantom liked this post

Nice tip Mike, thanks
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

A quart of acetone is $5.99. A quart of cheap ATF is $4.99. So, for $10.98 you get 2 quarts (32 ounces) of the homemade penetrating oil. not bad considering that an 11 ounce can of PB blaster is $5.49.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    A quart of acetone is $5.99.
    Haha, my wife buys it by the litre (33 oz) to remove her finger nail polish

Master Mechanic

Thanks for this article! This will help me change my upper control arms over spring break!!
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Jr. Engineer

It works great, been doing it for years! ATF, Marvel mystery oil, either one with acetone works great! Case in point, brake lines on a 96 caddy! After breaking off connectors at the block, I put the mix on the lines at the calipers and let them sit a couple of hours, and they came off like new!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I stopped by a friends garage the other day because I wanted to do a crank relearn on my truck. He wanted a case of cheap beer and a pack of smokes to do it, the dealer wanted $150. While I was there I came across article from popular mechanics magazine about a test where they tried different penetrating oils. Here is what the results said

Oil used - Average torque load to loosen

No oil 516 ft/lbs
    wd-40 238 ft/lbs
    PB Blaster 214 ft/lbs
    Liquid Wrench 127 ft/lbs
    Kano Kroil 106 ft/lbs
    ATF-Acetone mix 53 ft/lbs

The ATF-Acetone mix ranked the best on lab corroded bolts and nuts. They mix it 1:1. I asked the owner of the shop about it. He laughed and said, "Oh yea, we call it Fall Off"
    he had it in a atf bottle with a small tip on it. He said the only thing is that you need to make sure that you put a cover on the tip or the acetone will evaporate. I will be trying this soon. Obviously, you need to keep it away from plastic and rubber parts.
    I've been using the Acetone-ATF for years! It's the best that I've used.
    2010 GMC SIERRA CREW CAB (Silver) 4x4, ReadyLift 2.5" Level Kit, 305/60/18 Dick Cepek Mud Country, Go Rhino Nerf Bars, Husky Liners front and rear, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, Custom tuned. 4:11's

I will be mixing up some of this to use. Thanks for the info.
    2006 Silverado 1500 5.3L ecsb Z71,afe pro s dry air filter, color matched tailgate handle and bezel,color matched front bow tie, led interior illumination, 5000K HID lows, Black powder coated wheels, Blacked out body side moldings, Rough Country 2.5" level/lift kit, Magnaflow muffler

Great info, thanks! And on the plus side, even if I don't do the acetone/ATF mix, I can switch to Liquid Wrench it appears to work almost twice as well as my usual pb blaster I buy.
    2014 Chevrolet Silverado Z71 4x4 | 2.5" level/lift | 275/70/18 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Quote Originally Posted by RayVoy View Post
    Haha, my wife buys it by the litre (33 oz) to remove her finger nail polish
    yeah, but that is mixed with mineral oil and sexy smell stuff.

12. Likes RayVoy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by