GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Hello! Is synthetic fluid ok in front diff? 93 K1500

First off hello to everyone! I was waiting to get my new to me 93 K1500 all fixed up before posting some pics and introducing myself but ran into a question I am unsure about.

As the title asks: is synthetic gear oil ok in the front diff of my '93 K1500? I picked up some Valvoline 75w90 synthetic but have read it may cause a leak. Any experience or advice is greatly appreciated!

some say that changing to synthetic will cause leaks because of conditioners in the oil that swell seals. I have always run synthetic in my trucks, even if I buy them used with high mileage I still switch to synthetic. I have not seen any leaks develop. knock on wood!!
    Last edited by Pikey; 03-07-2014 at 11:38 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Thanks Pikey, I have also heard that too. But the reasoning on this was a little different. I read this model of truck the front diff was manufactured without a gasket and the synthetic might eat the sealant.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SumB View Post
    Thanks Pikey, I have also heard that too. But the reasoning on this was a little different. I read this model of truck the front diff was manufactured without a gasket and the synthetic might eat the sealant.
    the use of silicone sealers they say is attacked by the synthetic gear oil...you will find silicone sealers saying that this sealant will not be damaged with synthetic gear oils... most of the older silicone sealants are damaged and then it will leak... I would use the 80-90 wt for the front diff.. or what ever your vehicle manual states is the correct product...

I will not risk it then, thanks j cat

Early on when synthetics first showed up in the marketplace, there was not any additives similar to regular oils that helped prevent leaks from seals. That got rectified quickly. There is hardly an application today that couldn't work with synthetics. I have used synthetics with RTV sealers and never had a problem.
    Hey there, VA, what do ya' say? How many vets did you kill today?

If you have a 93 that's never had front axle work then it doesn't need a reason to start leaking. I run synthetic in my 97 because of the potential for bearing and gear damage with Dino oil at the low temps we have here
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer